pinkthumb
Newly Registered

Gardening newbie

I've decided to go out on a limb and try to maintain my own vegetable garden, but I have to admit that I'm a bit unsure of what I'm doing. Any other "new" veggie garden starters out there? I just wanted to ask if you guys knew any helpful resources with the basics on vegetable gardening... for now, I've found marthastewart to be pretty helpful.

webmaster
Site Admin

Martha Stewart? Bah! No serious gardener would hang out at Martha Stewart. Do yourself a favor and frequent real gardening sites like ours, and also Dave's Garden and if you can stand the trolling, Garden Web.

The Helpful Gardener has plenty of tips!
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/vegetable/

I would definitely recommend staying as far away from Martha Stewart as possible.

Grey
Greener Thumb

LOL. Martha isn't THAT bad... I personally like her taste in decor and her magazine (the show is awful). But I wouldn't consider her a serious gardener, or that she is all that interested in giving anyone really detailed advice about their gardens.

Gardener Don
Cool Member

pinkthumb, I would suggest you contacting your local extension office and find a local Master Gardener that will help you a bunch. Of course, you can always ask questions here and there are a bunch of people that are quite knowledgeable, but this is never as good as having someone visit your garden and give you tips. Good Luck and keep us posted, Gardener Don

StormyWinter
Newly Registered

I started my first veggie garden about 3 months ago. Didn't have a clue as to what I was doing. I just read the back of the packages and followed it. I have some experiance with gardening as I have many flower gardens. I have had pretty good luck so far but it hasn't been long enough for anything to produce yet.

Good Luck!

LMcNair27

This is my first year growing really anything at all. I was a little wary at first, because any plant I've ever bought/been given has died, including some hanging ivy, a potted chrysanthemum, and a bowl of daffodils. Growing them from seeds seems to be my thing though. I've been eating salads with field greens from a window box since about easter, and for about the past month I've had more cucumbers than I've known what to do with. (I live in an apt, so everything is in window boxes, flower pots, or topsy turveys, although the latter doesn't seem to work as well as it claims.) I'm also planning on making pesto this weekend out of the boatloads of basil growing in the window box that I affectionately refer to as "the forest." I didn't do much more than read the backs of the seed packets and have a few conversations with someone at the local nursery. Although I used to work in a bookstore, and if I remember correctly, Ortho puts out a fairly good series of books about different kinds of plants (vegetables, tomatoes, annuals, perennials, etc.) In another couple of years I hope to own a house (or at least a townhouse) so I can plant something in the ground.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”