erins327

Growing garlic- this look good?

I pulled some garlic today that has been planted since October. This year is the first year I can actually decipher that there are cloves.

How do they look? Why are the stalks (necks?) so thick compared to everyone else's?

Some look a little under developed. Was it too early? Last year I waited til about late april to pick and they were bitter and underdeveloped.

Thanks!
Attachments
garlic april 2014.JPG
garlic april 2014.JPG (49.54 KiB) Viewed 837 times

Lonesomedave
Location: NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE- zone 6B - 7A on USDA plant hardiness map

can't really answer your last questions, but, considering that you've only done this a short time....I would say they look good...better than I could do, that's for sure.

this year you'll probably do even better.... :mrgreen:

applestar
Mod

Your picture doesn't show all of the top foliage. I always start digging them when 1/3-1/2 of the foliage has yellowed and test digging shows some extra-bulb cloves (independent hard tiny cloves outside of the main bulb). Mine are long-day varieties though, so it could be different in Texas.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Garlic young or old is always yummy. If you want bigger bulbs let the top die back a bit more.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I'm in zone 8 and generally harvest in early June. Most of the bulb development takes place in the last two or three months.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here in zone 6, I plant garlic in October, but don't harvest it until July, when most of the tops have yellowed. I think you probably still could have waited longer.

erins327

Thanks for the replies!

This picture was about 1/3 of the batch. Decidedly, and now glad I did, to keep the rest in the garden for now. Patience is a virtue that I am learning, slowly. :lol:

Thanks again and happy gardening,

ERin

erins327

So, to continue this conversation my garlic has been sitting outside in a shady spot for one month now. (And yes, they are brought in with any chance of rain.)

The leaves are still pretty green! How long on average does it take to dry these babies out during the ciring process?

Thanks!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”