Millstone Farm

Greenhouse questions

I'm almost finished building a 72'x30' high tunnel/greenhouse and should be installing the poly skin this Saturday. I'll also be installing a gable-mounted exhaust fan, flourescent lights, and some kind of irrigation system. I will be growing vegetables only and planting everything directly in the ground.
#1 Would you recommend drip irrigation?
#2 Drip tape on the ground or hanging from the frame?
#3 Has anyone used gutters and tanks of some kind to catch and store rainwater and is this cost effective compared to irrigating directly from a well?
#4 If, so, has anyone used solar panels to power your water pump?

Thanks for your help!
Wayne

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Re: Greenhouse questions

I would prefer drip irrigation on the ground.

Yes, you will need ventilation. A green house can easily overheat in full sun. Perhaps some fairly large sliding doors on each end?

I have used solar panels to charge batteries for powering radio equipment. I am afraid pumping water may take more energy. Not saying it can't be done with proper engineering. It will require sizing the batteries and solar panels for the job at hand. Perhaps you can get panels with enough output to run a small pump and avoid the batteries?

Perhaps you get enough rainfall there, but in this dry country that is a joke. Good luck.

PS if you will put your location near your avatar, it helps us to advise you. Conditions vary a lot across the scope of this board.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Millstone Farm

Got it, thanks!
My outfit has rollup side curtains on both sides and 16'x8' rollup doors on each end. The 36" fan will move alot of air too hopefully.

For irrigation, I was thinking of buying a 110 or 120w solar panel off Ebay for around $120, and using that to power a 12vdc, 110 watt, 300 gph pump. I would catch my water with vinyl gutters running the length of both sides of the structure and every 1" of rain on the roof should produce around 1350 gallons. I can get 4-275 gal. food-grade storage tanks for about $75 each and hold about 1100 gallons of it. I was thinking of incorporating liquid fertilizers into the system too. What do ya think?

Millstone Farm

Here's a shot of my greenhouse frame. I just have to straighten the PT wood framed ends a bit, mount the extrusions which hold the poly, and install the poly. Then it will be time to add the irrigation system.
Attachments
Graphic1.jpg

FarmerFrey
Newly Registered

Very nice tunnel, I hope to have a setup like this one day for my market garden. Speaking from lots of experience though, drip is the way to go in large gardens.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”