hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Spring Sequence of Planting well under way!

Cool crops planted and doing well, with several lettuce harvests so far.
Tomatoes and other tender transplants are still in the containers, going outside during the day and inside at night. Most larger plants are blooming (a little over 2 feet tall) and several have well developed clusters of green fruit.
Spring onions, sweet peas, and corn are in the ground. Sweet peas have just started breaking ground.
Earliest cucumbers and squash have been planted in one gallon nursery pots. Night time lows should be at a good level by the time the seeds germinate with the next ten days highs in the 70's.
Will plant some radish and spinach today.
Another week and it will be time to put some beans into the ground.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, your season is well ahead of mine. I have lots of cool weather stuff in the ground, both seeds and transplants. Some of the not quite frost hardy stuff, that can tolerate a bit of cool, like chamomile, marigold, dill, summer savory, is out on the deck hardening off, but can still be brought back in if needed. None of the warm weather stuff has seen the light of day yet. Squash are just starting to poke out of soil mix.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

We are behind you as well and slightly behind RBG. We're hoping to get the cool season stuff in the ground tomorrow (broccoli, kohlrabi and snow peas). Yesterday we just planted the summer squash so it'll be sprouting in about 4 to 5 days normally in the basement.

My marigolds are just sprouting and since my annuals are hot weather sun annuals they won't see the outside until we are much warmer during the day.

Still it good to see things moving along :)

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

For years I bought into the idea that squash and cucumbers were best direct seeded. But we always would see transplants at the local nursery. A few years ago I tried starting both early in one gallon nursery pots. Boy what a result! I think that most years transplants give as much as 3-4 week head start on production. I'm quite behind last year's planting time for those items this year, as has been so cold. But still, these seeds are about three weeks ahead of the direct seed date and will hopefully give an early result again this year.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

WOW! You are way ahead of me. Still snowing here. Temp here this morning is 32 degrees. Looks like we may get a bit of sunshine though. About all I have got done is to go buy my seed. Here April is the planting month for the cool weather crops and May for the warm weather crops. Plant cukes June 1. Ok, we will get going as soon as the soil dries a bit.

Have fun!

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Wow, pretty much all of my cold weather stuff has already come out. If it hasn't I am going to pull it today. I have planted a few of the tomatoes and they are about 2 feet tall and blooming. It warmed up here early this year. I would have planted the peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, squash, and melon this week but we had a cool spell with lows in the 40's so I decided to hold off. Next week we are having highs in the 90's so I will probably plant that stuff on Sunday.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”