sunflower13

Winter Luxury pumpkin and vining question.

Hi all :),
So I will be growing the winter luxury pumpkin for the first time this coming season. I know these pumpkins don't have a long shelf life like the regular pie pumpkin so I will need to can or freeze them asap once ripe but other than that, I don't know much about them. Any tips about growing them? Are their vines as big as any pumpkin plant?
Second question:
So has anyone tried wrapping the vines of squash, pumpkins, etc. in a circle? This lady was telling me her parents grow pumpkins and the vines would try to take over their yard so her parents put the vines together and wrap them in a circle so they don't go all over. I am curious about this. I have a rental plot and would like to make the most of it. Has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks and happy gardening!

imafan26
Mod

I haven't tried that but it is a good idea. Did they strip the leaves to wind them?

I know the feeling of the vine taking over. I planted a Tahitian squash once and it took over half my back yard and tried to go through the fence and take over the neighbors yard too.

sunflower13

You know I wish I knew. I asked her for details but she said she wasn't certain; just that they would put the plants together. I am curious. They get so large and with limited space I'd love to try wrapping them if I knew what I was doing. It is amazing how big they get. For now, I will avoid Tahitian squash till I move or get a bigger plot :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You can direct the squash vines in the direction you want them to go. Just pick up the end and move it over. Yes, you can train it in a circle. Bear in mind squash is a large plant and does need room for its many leaves to find sunshine. For a single vine, I would suggest a six foot diameter circle. Once you get a fruit or two set on a vine, prune the new end growth off. It doesn't have to go all over creation.

FWIW, I plant 5 squash seed together (I call it a hill, but don't really mound it up.) and let the plants go out like the spokes on a wheel. You need some space to let them go like this though. Hills 5 or 6 feet apart.

sunflower13

jal_ut wrote:You can direct the squash vines in the direction you want them to go. Just pick up the end and move it over. Yes, you can train it in a circle. Bear in mind squash is a large plant and does need room for its many leaves to find sunshine. For a single vine, I would suggest a six foot diameter circle. Once you get a fruit or two set on a vine, prune the new end growth off. It doesn't have to go all over creation.

FWIW, I plant 5 squash seed together (I call it a hill, but don't really mound it up.) and let the plants go out like the spokes on a wheel. You need some space to let them go like this though. Hills 5 or 6 feet apart.

Wow! They look so healthy! Could you mound different varieties together? I will probably be growing couple of different winter squashes and 1 pumpkin due to space.
Thanks for the tips!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Could you mound different varieties together? I will probably be growing couple of different winter squashes and 1 pumpkin due to space.
Yes, you could plant the different varieties together. Have fun!

sunflower13

jal_ut wrote:
Could you mound different varieties together? I will probably be growing couple of different winter squashes and 1 pumpkin due to space.
Yes, you could plant the different varieties together. Have fun!
Thanks for your help :)!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”