jcrous

Cucumber varieties

I am a cucumber enthusiast

I have bought seed of various open pollinated varieties.

My favourites are Kyoto and Tanja (Long varieties - 12 - 14 inches) - in our hot climate they bear shorter but thicker fruit. These varieties are however not resistant to any diseases.

I Also have Poinsett and Marketmore 76, both which are shorter varieties but resistant to a lot of diseases. These last two are ridge cucumbers but they can be trellised.

I would like to know the following:

1) Varieties that you recommend that will perform and be resistant to diseases (not bitter skin). I do not mind if it is ridge varieties. I want both standard and long varieties.

2) Open polinated tunnel cucumbers (English cucumbers). These I know will not be resistant to diseases.

I do not want any F1 hybrids. Those I can buy locally.

ArtB

I always plant Straight 8 cukes as well as a few you mentioned and they do well here.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Have you tried the Armenian Cucumber? It is a long one with never any bitterness.

The so called "Burpless" cucumbers are said to be low in the compounds that cause
the bitter taste.

Marketmore 76 is my favorite.

imafan26
Mod

Armenian is a very tender variety. Not really a cucumber, more of a melon, but used like a cucumber.

I know you wanted local. But there are a few varieties that do well where I am and they have to have some decent resistance

Suyo long and Diva- parthenocarpic. If pests are a problem they do not need pollination so they can be kept in a greenhouse or closed tunnel to hep keep bugs out. In fact, you do not want these pollinated or the fruit will be deformed.
Suyo is an English type cucumber with tender skin and is not bitter. Diva is crisp and not bitter as well as being an AAS winner.

Tendergreen and Tasty green. Tender skin, sweet and resistant to mildew

Some of these cucumbers Armenian, Suyo (they spell it differently), and tasty green seeds are available from Kitazawa seeds. They don't have a large selection of seeds, but their seeds have always been good for me.

https://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_cucumber.html

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Cucumbers are another veggie where the varieties are just overwhelming. So just like with tomatoes, mine are grouped: pickling, sweet slice, Asian. Each year 3-4 packs of interesting looking varieties are purchased and simply dumped in the community seed packs. What we get each year is pot luck depending upon what comes out of each pack. All are great and we are never disappointed by the cukes that are produced.

Two years ago I decided to make a few pickles. That year my cucumber harvest was very light. We eat about 2-3 cucumbers per day during the summer and like to have about a dozen cucumbers in reserve. Well that year the stream of cucumbers was just perfect for our daily needs and a little sharing, but no excess for pickles. Last year was the same. The plants did a little better, but massive rain caused problems with fruit production. So once again no pickles. This year I'll more than double the number of plants and will will also plant a steady succession every 3-4 weeks. Bet we get more cukes than we know what to do with this year!

Rairdog
Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Marketmore 76 is my favorite.
X2 I tried many and always fall back on these

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”