I am somewhat new to this forum. I came here asking about Bonsai questions but now I'm here for an entirely new purpose.
I have come to the conclusion that its time I start "Trying" to grow my own veggies for my family.
The problem? I have NO clue where to start. What information I need. What veggies grow well in my area of the country. There is SO Much information on the internet, it's overwhelming. I wouldn't even know where to start.
So I come here to ask the following questions, in hopes of lots of assistance!
- 1 - I live in Kansas and would like to start gardening right now. What veggies produce well in this environment?
- 2 - I am trying to keep the costs somewhat minimal. What items/tools/materials will I absolutely need to get this started?
- 3 - I have 2 4x3 foot boxes in the yard that were here from the previous owner. Can I use these? If so, should I dig out all of the old soil and plant new soil?
- 3A - These boxes have chicken wire laying on top of the soil all the way across. Is this necessary or should it be removed?
- 4 - I have a local cat that roams since its owner apparently doesn't care. Any tips on keeping this cat out of my garden?
- 5 - I would like to maximize my gardens plantability. Out of the veggies named, which of them work well in close proximity to each other?
That basically outlines my current information needs. I will list the kinds of veggies that my family eats so you can let me know what, from that list, works here in Kansas.
My family enjoys the following veggies;
- Baby Spinach
- TOMATOES <-- I pray they work out well here.
- Onions (Red or Yellow)
Thanks so much for any and all information!