stainlessbrown

Sweet potato/yam

a silly question perhaps- I'm going to try these for the the first time.

so, I have started 4 medium tubers with the toothpick in a glass of water method. Lots of roots, shoots are starting to 'set" and leafs open.

How long/many leafs should I let the vines develop before setting out? (I'm in California central/northern valley and it's predicted we'll see whether in the 80's by the weekend (tomatoes are already in the ground and flowering)

How much of the tuber do I leave with each vine? I do separate them like I would potato eyes (right?)

and what about all the roots growing in the water?

thanks in advance

imafan26
Mod

Sweet potatoes are usually grown from slips not tubers around here. They like a sandy soft soil and they like
a very warm soil.

Because sweet potatoes can be invasive here with the vines literally taking over the walkways and yard if you let it and because my soil is hard clay a couple of feet down, I prefer to plant them in large tubs. It is easier to harvest and I can control the vines easier. BTW sweet potato shoots are edible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow3C5UbxnFs

stainlessbrown

Thanks! the video was most helpful. These will go in raised beds (tyne ground is hardpan underneath) and I'll let the vines trellis up the back side of the bed.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

you may have to encourage them up the trellis. they tend to flop, not climb on their own.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”