JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Why not start peas indoors?

Hello all. Any reason to not start peas indoors? I know they transplant easily and show know signs of stress when transplanted, as I've "moved" them around in the garden over the years to fill in gaps in rows, etc. I ask because my calendar says its time...past time, really...to get them planted. Since I fully expect spring to last about 3 days here before summer rushes in, they need to get started soon to do any good. Problem is that it has been and will continue to be so cold. I feel like whatever I plant right now would just rot in the soil. So, why not start them in cells indoors and transplant them once they're a couple inches tall?

Thoughts?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It might work, but there's no reason to. As long as your ground is unfrozen and you can work it, you can plant peas outdoors. They like cold. And yes, you need to get them started soon.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote: As long as your ground is unfrozen and you can work it, you can plant peas outdoors. They like cold.
I know all this is true, but I've started peas during much warmer stretches than this, and had very poor germination...even after soaking them first. My soil temps will be in the 30s and lower for the next couple weeks. That'll lead to a lot of rotted seed.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

No need to. They don't mind the cold. I have some peas that germinated last fall and they have lived through the winter and are slowly starting to grow as the weather warms up a bit here.

As rainbowgardener says, plant them anytime now.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Oh, you were writing as I was. Do you use treated seed? Some don't like it , but it does help to keep the seed from rotting if germination conditions are not right the day it is planted.

Yes, you can plant peas indoors. The problem I see with this, if you are like me, you are going to want a good row of peas so you can actually get a batch. It would take a lot of pots........... :)

applestar
Mod

You could try pre germinating them. That would save on the days to germination. They will pre-germinate in the refrigerator.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:You could try pre germinating them. That would save on the days to germination. They will pre-germinate in the refrigerator.
Whats the technique involved with that? What I've always done is simply soak them for a day or so, then kept them damp and covered for another day or so before planting.

applestar
Mod

Take a look here Experienced sprout growers -- I have questions! • HelpfulGardener ...

I'll see if I can also dig up the simple method jal_ut described using a jar, but he might get here before me. :wink:

Either way, soaking for "a day or two" would drown them. Should not be longer than 4-6 hrs in warmer temp for peas, up to 8 hrs at most, I would say. They spoil easily - if they smell like alcohol, they are fermenting which destroys their ability to germinate.

Done correctly, they can germinate in less than two days (soak then drained and kept from drying out overnight)

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I wrap mine in wet paper towels and then put in a zip lock bag. I put them in a cool place. With in 2 days I have seeds splitting open. I try and get them in the ground quickly after that to keep them from growing into the paper towels it is hard to get them apart after they do.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I direct-seeded dry pea seed on the second of march. we had a couple little snowstorms and a bit of cold rain in between then and now, and some warm days. they're all starting to come up as of yesterday. I've never had germination problems with peas in cold-ish weather. I usually plant in february.

I agree that over-soaking could kill them, though. I wonder if that's the cause of poor germination for you before.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

!potatoes! wrote:I direct-seeded dry pea seed on the second of march. we had a couple little snowstorms and a bit of cold rain in between then and now, and some warm days. they're all starting to come up as of yesterday. I've never had germination problems with peas in cold-ish weather. I usually plant in february.

I agree that over-soaking could kill them, though. I wonder if that's the cause of poor germination for you before.

I probably didn't describe what I did very well. By "day or so", I didn't mean 24 hours. I basically soak them until they rehydrate and then go to damp towels. I've done both ways, and I get far better germination with the soaked seeds. Problem is around here, we can have a few days in the sixties, followed by a week where the high doesn't get above 35 and the nightly lows can be in the teens. I usually start looking at the 10 day forecast about the last week of February, and try to slip them in when it looks like I might have a week of decent temps. Just haven't had the "window" yet this season.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I see. for me, part of why I plant the seed dry is to give the seed the opportunity to decide for itself when to go for it. when planting them on the early edge of the season like you do, maybe you don't want them to already be starting to move? just a thought. it doesn't sound like our weather's that different...

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Here is how I pre-sprout seed: Put the seed in a quart bottle and fill the jar with water. Let soak over
night. In the morning drain the water off and invert the bottle on a paper towel sitting on the counter.
It works best to hold the towel over the top of the jar as you turn it over and set it down. This lets
any excess water come off the seed, but holds the humidity high. Each evening and morning take
up the bottle and rinse the seed with lukewarm water, drain and again invert the bottle on the paper
towel. It takes two or three days usually to see a root emerge on the seed. As soon as you see this
go plant them. Don't wait until the roots get long.

This also works for sprouts to eat if you like to eat sprouted seeds.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”