WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Mung Beans - Have you grown them?

Hey there! Long time no post. So I'm having trouble finding out what zones Mung Beans will do best in, 6A here. I've got (yes this amount is correct) 10 lbs of beans for growing sprouts indoors on their way. lol Yes I love bean sprouts! But I also wanted to see if I could grow them out in the garden or if it would be a fruitless and wasteful effort. I am having extreme difficulties finding much information on growing them in the US. Input is appreciated!

Have you grown them in the US? If you have what zone are you and how have they behaved? TIA!

imafan26
Mod

I haven't grown them, but eat a lot of them here. They are from India and used and grown from China to the Philippines. It prefers a warm (hot dry climate). It is can be grown in the southern states. According to Kitazawa seeds it is a bushy plant usually planted in late Spring or early summer and matures in about 90 days.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Thanks! That's all the information I could find as well. I'm hoping someone from the central states can weigh in possibly on this too. If nothing else, I could simulate and grow them in my greenhouse I guess but they would have to be potted.

imafan26
Mod

Actually, you have piqued my interest. I might try growing some myself.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

lol Well I have plenty of seeds to be coming in the post in the next week (10 lbs) so I'll have plenty to sprout indoors. I just prefer to be cost effective and try to continue to grow them from my own stock after the initial purchase. The ones I bought are non GMO and organic as well so I can continue the non GMO and organic strain that these are if I can grow them here in Ohio.

Here is where I purchased my seeds from as well if you're seriously contemplating it.

https://stores.ebay.com/Food-to-Live?_tr ... 7675.l2563

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”