jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Gardening Styles

When we talk about gardens, that could have a wide meaning as far as the style of garden. For me the "garden" was always a place where Dad planted vegetables, (heavy on corn and potatoes). Of course it rubbed off and when I got my own place I continued the tradition of growing my own veggies as much as possible. I know many of you plant in boxes or raised beds. I just go out in the yard and till up a portion of it and plant. In any case gardening has been very rewarding for me and my family. Hope it is working out well for you as well. Here is a pic of one of my past gardens.

.....and some of the goodies.

Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Re: Gardening Styles

Ok...... I confess, I am doing this to encourage you to plant this season. Yes, it is time to be thinking about planting.

I would like to see some pics of your past gardens. Lets encourage the newcomers.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Look at you, That's some nice country. What a great bunch of fruit and veggies. You're doing something right. Good to see what you have going.

Richard

imafan26
Mod

My whole block could probably fit in your garden.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

btrowe1

Here's pictures of my garden from last year 2013, Hopefully this years grows as well 2014, Good luck to all..
garden skunk 009.jpg
garden skunk 009.jpg (44.18 KiB) Viewed 652 times
garden skunk 010.jpg
garden skunk 013.jpg

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I planted a row of onion seeds directly in the garden last fall. I just went out and looked, they are coming up.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:I planted a row of onion seeds directly in the garden last fall. I just went out and looked, they are coming up.
The onions you sent me a few years back come up faithfully each spring. They are about 6-8 inches tall now. Along with daffodils they are a true sign of good spring to come.
Nutin as good as a kitchen sink mater sammich

btrowe1

Onion seeds growing,that must be nice, My garden under a foot of snow with possible 12" coming on Wed/Thurs. this rate won't get anything in till end of April beginning of May..

Last year this time I was getting ready to plant my onion sets. Not this year..

applestar
Mod

I finally got outside today -- puttered around and cleaned up a bit. Rebuilt the compost pile, etc. -- ground /paths between raised mound beds and lawn were all very wet and mucky, and when I tried to push a fallen solar garden light back in the ground, only top few inches were thawed... frozen under the mud.

But Egyptian walking onions and some other onions are up including ones I planted in a window box back in fall and left tucked against the house. Some carrots overwintered under a sopping muddy garden fleece it looks like -- hoping to get some seeds this year. :D
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

btrowe1, Thanks for sharing your pics. This is just what I was hoping for...... others sharing pics of their gardens and gardening style.

It has been a rather warm month of March so far here. I don't usually get to planting until April, but tempted to go plant some things now. Spinach, carrots, lettuce and peas should be OK? Perhaps that is what I will do to celebrate St Patrick's Day?

bryce d
Cool Member

Last year I did the way to dense gardening style this year I hope to do better.
Attachments
1373224682542.jpg
1373224682542.jpg (2.91 KiB) Viewed 548 times
If I don't answer quickly I'm out in the garden picking morning glory.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”