kcopper

Growing veggies in partial shade

I have a very small garden, and due to my neighbours enormous hedge we only get sunlight on one half. Its my first attempt at growing my own veg this year and I'm wondering if any that I've bought will do well in the shade. I've got carrots, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, runner beans, strawberries (for hanging baskets), and potatoes.

There's a few more that I need to buy, any reccomendations for varieties which will liven up the rather tired looking side of my garden?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Of the things you mentioned, only the carrots and potatoes will tolerate the shadiness. Tomato plants will grow but will not produce much at all. Even the carrots and potatoes will be very slowed down if your area doesn't get at least 4 hrs of direct sun.

There are edibles you can grow in that situation though, mostly green leafies. Spinach will do better in shade than full sun. Bok choi, kale, lettuce, kale should all do well for you. My favorite would be swiss chard, which grows all season instead of bolting when it gets warm. The rainbow chard is also very ornamental.

Other things you could grow are some kinds of herbs: chives, cilantro, lemon balm, mint, oregano, parsley. Even sage will do ok with half day sun.

imafan26
Mod

Unless you can supplement the light, even reflective mulch may not help that much. However if you grow green onions, parsley, chives, culantro, and other plants that don't mind partial shade they may do o.k.

kcopper

Thankyou for your replies. Certainly hadn't considered herbs. I have a few large containers with herbs in that I could relocate to the area which will free up some space. Almost time to plant out so a weekend of serious organisation is in order!

applestar
Mod

Runner beans can sometimes climb their way up into more sunny situation.....

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”