jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Spring Planting

https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/Plan ... anting.htm

A pictorial of planting day in my garden.

March, and if your soil is workable, time to plant the early crops. The question is always: "What do I plant this early?"

Many plants have some frost resistance and do very well early spring planted. Peas, spinach, parsnips, carrots, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, kale, onions, radish, turnip. Chard and beets just a bit later.

I had some peas that went to seed last fall and got tilled in. Ha, now I have new peas growing volunteer.

OK, gardeners, chime in and let us know what varieties you have found that grow good planted early?

Time to go plant.

shadylane
Green Thumb

Lettuce, spinach, peas, carrots, onions, Brussels.

I must comment on your beautiful full view backdrop, I would be in awl looking at that scenery every time I was in the garden, what a up lift moment.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's beautiful, but you cheated! :) It is dated April!

Currently it is Mar 2 and by morning my garden will once again be under 6" of snow. :( Sigh... no planting yet.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I just gardened! The last couple of months have had little going on. I lost all my lettuce under the dome during that first epic cold snap were the temps were well below zero for an extended time. Then, the dome collapsed under the 27" of snow we got a couple weeks ago. Anyway, my kale from the fall is still alive...but barely. It looks pretty bad. I'm thinking it may perk back up in a few weeks.

But I did finally get to plant some stuff today. The weather has been so extreme, it has made me a little confused about what to plant and when. Snow storm scheduled for tomorrow, and another toward the end of the week...sigh. So today, I started the following indoors: 18 assorted lettuce, 18 kale, 18 collards, 9 broccoli, and 9 cabbages. I also planted 4 tomatoes...2 Grandma Oliver's Chocolate and 2 Lehrer's Tomate. Truthfully, I'm probably a couple weeks late on the lettuce and cole crops, and probably a few weeks early on the 'maters. Our last frost is usually right around the first week or so of May. The old timers say to never plant 'maters here before mid or even late May, but I usually get them in the ground the last week of April if the 10 day forecast looks good. I usually have a few tense nights with the plants covered with buckets and mulch. The plan with these is to keep up-potting and moving in and out as the weather dictates. I'll try to to rebuild the dome next weekend...

Anyway...yay gardening...

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Over the past week I planted lettuce, Swiss chard, kale, and broccoli, all from nursery transplants. In a typical year the kale and collards would still be growing strong from the winter, but this year almost none survived. In the next week or two, I'll plant peas, radish, corn, spinach, arugula, loose leaf lettuce, and maybe some potatoes. Onions, garlic, and cilantro are the only things that overwintered.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

When planting the leaf type lettuces, I like to put 4 to 5 seeds together then skip 12 inches in the row and do it again. When the seed germinates and the plants are 2-3 inches tall I thin them to one plant in a spot. That one plant makes one nice big leafy head.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Today I planted (seeds) lettuce, spinach and kolrabi (starts) kale, broccoli and onion sets. Hopefully they make it.

mrbelvetron

Dang Jal that's some nice looking lettuce!

I'm planting today when I get off work. A little late but we've gotten several unusual freezes and long cold snaps this winter that have kept me out of the garden.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”