Gardener123
Green Thumb

Is THIS much snow good for the garden?

By the end of the weekend, Philly area residents will have seen over 5 feet of snow, and possibly over 6 feet depending on exact location, for this winter. As I recall my dad always said that snow provided nitrogen, which is good.... But too much snow is bad. He has passed away, but I sort of remember that. Anyway, at least the melting snow will provide water. I have a new Weeping Willow that should love all the melted snow.... But I am concerned about all the onions I planted in December..... They supposedly are just fine to plant in early winter.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If you live in a glacial valley (oh Plymouth NH comes to mind) too much snow can lead to later flooding when its ice-out time.

Mostly too much snow is hard on the mental health of the people living in the storms path. Cabin-fever aint a myth...

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Your onions will likely do well. They are very winter hardy.

In this country it is not a bit unusual to have snow cover for 4 months of the year. Sometimes a little longer. We just always hope it thaws slowly enough that we don't get bad flooding.

imafan26
Mod

I bet the folks in California wouldn't mind having some of your snow right about now.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

We definitely would not mind having some. People that usually go to the mountains to ski and snowboard are going to hike just because there is literally no snow. the entire state has been fairly warm lately.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”