Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Rock Dust. Does it really work?

I have seen lots about Rock dust and its claims of it being an organic super additive to your soil. The idea is it re-introduces trace minerals into the soil or potting mix that were not there. Those trace minerals are bioavailable to the plant and microorganisms in the soil. They are supposed to benifit and do super well.

I guess it claims to increase the plant health, vitality, yield and taste of produce. I would love to know if anyone has experience with rock dust.

I wanted to put the claims to the test so I am trying it out in my seedlings room and then out in the garden later!

[youtudotbe]https://youtu.be/tWtIO1hu-DE[/youtudotbe]

applestar
Mod

I don't buy specific brands, but supplementing micronutrients that are not in the container mix or garden soil definitely "works". I usually use greensand, kelp meal, as well as rock phosphate and dolomitic lime. Using granite dust and oh what is the term? -- "crumbled" -- granite is also good.

Anecdotal -- When I first made my "sunny desert rock garden" and used bags of large and small marble chip mulch to fill the area, the rocks were very dusty at first and when all the dust washed off, the plants in the bed as well as the lawn surrounding the bed took off.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

That is good news ! I am fairly sure it will do well I just needed to test it for myself !

I was thinking after awhile your mature garden with compost should have its own source of trace minerals.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”