Itoero

fertilizing onions, shallots and garlic

hi,

When I fertilize onions, shallots and garlic...
Can I give liquid fertilizer (organic) on top of it?
Or shouldn't the fertilizer touch the bulb?

Itoero

affgar

Regular liquid fertiliser can be great.
Good bed preparation & organic matter enrichment is a must also prior to planting.

Make sure you have good drainage soil. Let soil dry out before harvest.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The leek, a close relative of the vegetables you listed, has leaves like a Lily, another relative.

It has a long season of growth. It is a good thing to give leeks extra plant food sometime during the growing season. If you use a dry fertilizer and sprinkle it over the plants those lily-like leaves will catch that fertilizer and hold onto it. It might be in those leaves weeks later when they are harvested! Not very appetizing!

Liquid fertilizer (fish emulsion) is what I use for the leeks and several others. Any sign of the fertilizer in the leaves disappears in a couple of days.

Shallots, unless you are growing them from seed, have a very short growing season. By mid-summer, I have those out of the ground, fresh fertilizer put down and something different in that place. They probably don't need anything other than the plant food that went into the soil with the sets.

Steve

Itoero

Liquid fertilizer (fish emulsion)
Is the biobizz fishmix suitable for alliums?
A normal fish emulsion is very expensive to buy from where I live.

affgar

Yes that is a fish emulsion fertiliser. It also has extract from a dutch sugar beet. Looks fine.

It has a fairly good NPK ratio of 4-3-6 which will be suitable for bulbs & flowering. :)

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”