imafan26
Mod

2014 countdown. What are you growing?

Every year I try to get a head start, but weather is hard to beat. I planted peppers in November, but I have lost half of them to the rain and disease. I started lettuce in community pots but the broccoli I planted in July is still producing some side shoots and taking up the space in the garden. I did just harvest a couple of main broccoli heads and some side shoots so it was not a total loss. Hopefully, I can get the lettuce in the ground soon.

I harvested some pole beans, pak choy cabbage, and I have a daikon that is probably ready to come out.
One of my super chilies fell over and is probably done for. I planted some terenzo tomatoes and they are just started to form small tomatoes, but now the top is wilting so I don't know if I will get any to ripen.

Thank goodness it is January, it is cold (for me) but there are a few things I can still do. I just got in my first order of seeds. Kale, Bull's blood beets, borage, cilantro, Anaheim , habanero, mini belle, banana, Chinese Giant, and hungarian wax peppers, Parsley, Coriander, Grape and Chocolate cherry tomatoes, Romaine and oakleaf lettuce, Michili cabbage, Opal and Thai basil, lemon balm, garlic chives, bee balm, arugula.

I have cuttings in the box of bay leaves, Mexican oregano, black pepper, rosemary, mini red roses, green rose, curry plant, and lavender. Hopefully they all take.

I planted nasturtiums, peanuts, cilantro, parsley, Detroit wonder beets, mesclun, Jersey Knight and Mary Washington asparagus, a new Mr. Lincoln rose, and kale.

I'm off and running, as soon as the rain stops, I will pull out most of the broccoli and reclaim my garden space for 2014 and hopefully have room for all these seedlings.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's 10 degrees and covered in snow out there! :) So far all I am growing is seeds/seedlings under lights. I have planted anise hyssop, broccoli, cabbage, chives, dill, spinach, cilantro, summer savory, parsley, spearmint, lavender, begonias, celery, Anaheim chilis, bell peppers, purple basil. In that list, everything from the hyssop through the parsley has sprouted already. The cabbage, broccoli, and savory have been moved off from being crowded on the heat mat to their own individual cells, off the mat. The cabbage and broccoli particularly are looking like nice sturdy little plants showing the beginnings of true leaves.

And even to have that much going at this point in the year, my friends think I'm a little nuts.

applestar
Mod

Today, I was straining the seeds from CT Striped Plum tomatoes and noticed that at least one of them has sprouted in the fermentation zip bag. So I took the obviously sprouted one and a few more iffy ones and sowed them in a community starter -- it's sitting on top of the Winter Wonderland shoplight which might not be enough for speedy germination, but I'm not in any hurry to start warm weather stuff yet.

I think I'm going to start the cold weather stuff between now through this weekend.

imafan26
Mod

Cold weather doesn't last long around here. I am thankful for that, I am sensitive to the cold and I hate having to stay in the house instead of being outside.

I planted most of my cold weather crops between July and September but I can get more lettuce, spinach, arugula, and Asian greens in. They will grow faster as the weather warms up. I actually don't start my true warm weather plants until March 1.

I marvel that some of you can grow tomatoes and peppers indoors in winter and get fruit. I don't do any indoor planting. I can't even keep a potted orchid seedling in the house overnight. My cats will dig the plant out of it's pot.

My mature peppers and eggplant do fine, although the eggplant is down to producing one or two eggplant every couple of weeks. The peppers mature a lot slower and I have more problems with fungal disease on both of them. The strong will survive. It hasn't rained that much this year so the lavender right now looks very decent and the cucumber is blooming and has 1 inch cukes on them.

Since, you have shorter seasons, you have learned to make the most of the time you have. I haven't figured out yet when to start seedlings and when things will be finishing up in the garden so I can plan better so I don't end up with no space in the garden and overgrown seedlings. Or, as in the case of the peppers, plant peppers in time to actually have them get their first fruit around February. It's my I ain't got no peppers month. I honestly have planted broccoli before, but I planted them around now. They grew and bloomed a lot faster. I did not expect broccoli I planted in July to be in peak production in December and January. I really thought they would be done by now.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I have started tomatoes, basil, 5 types of hot peppers, jalapenos, bell peppers, an squash. I still have to plant purple basil, flowers, and a few other things. The rest of it that either does not get started or I forgot about I will just buy transplants of. All of the winter crops are going to be down in another 1-2 months (hopefully) so that I can get all of the summer crops planted.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I have several items in flats under lights, hoping for more germination, but it has been COLD around here. Temps have moderated now, but still some snow on the ground, which is unusual for us.

I have tomatoes, peppers, bibb lettuce, and onions poking out just a bit. Hoping the moderate temps will bring more to the surface. I love to see new growth.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"What are you growing?" ICE!

bryce d
Cool Member

JAL lives near a place called Peters sink. You may have herd of it. It routinely has the coldest temperature in the lower 48 states during the winter. His growing season is about 15 minutes long.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

JAL lives near a place called Peters sink. You may have herd of it. It routinely has the coldest temperature in the lower 48 states during the winter.

But not so much this winter! :) A whole bunch of this winter, Cincinnati has been colder than Utah or Alaska or much of anywhere else (except Minnesota)!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The Sun was out for a second day. After subzero earlier this month, it didn't freeze overnight!

My frozen bag of potting soil finally thawed in the greenhouse. And, I got some onion seed in some soil!

They will stay in that unheated greenhouse and we have a lot of rain and snow in the forecast. Next is supposed to be below normal temperatures but maybe we will have some Sun by then.

It's a start -- Walla Walla & Utah Sweets, 3 different bunching onions, Ovation . . . where's the leek seed?! I did. I almost forgot the leeks again this year. Well, that's what I've got you guys for! And, common ol' Lancelot is the one I want . . . still gotta little time and another seed order to go out.

Steve :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

We have had several days in the 40s and getting some rain. Can you believe not snow?
My plot is still covered with 6 inches of snow. I reckon the garlic I planted in the fall is
starting to move under the snow. It should make its appearance the day the snow
melts. Overcast and 40 degrees as I write this.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Here it, like always, has been in the 70's and 80's. It really hasn't gotten cold since it did in December. My seedlings have been outside most days. It has been so warm my nursery is starting to bring in a few summer crops.

I have been getting ready for this year by buying more containers, potting soil, tomato cages, etc. Pretty soon I will start yanking all the cool weather crops. I did not get all the seeds I wanted to plant planted. I think I will just buy the bulk of what I never got around to. Hopefully I will work at my nursery by planting time so I get an employee discount (I applied a few months ago and they are going to start hiring early March!)

imafan26
Mod

I started potting up my peppers. I got some kale and lettuce that need to go into the garden. It has been raining for the last few days so I can only work on the potted plants for now and start a few more seeds if I can make room on the bench.

RosieRenee

Here in mild Western Washington, I have geranium, petunia, nine kinds of pepper and twenty kinds of tomatoes started under my very first growing lights. We plant peas (sugar snaps only for me!) on President's Weekend, so they just went in. I also planted spinach, arugula, radishes, joi choi and beets under my first attempt at cloches (recycled hula hoops covered in plastic). My lettuce is about 1-2 inches tall but is hanging out inside until later in March.

I have this crazy rotation in mind for my cloches - carrots next month, and then on to the cucumbers, etc. in April, until May when most everything can go outside except peppers, eggplant and basil, which really like to wait until June.

Oh, and corn! We have a newly purchased acre which will host my first decent attempt at corn.

Around here, I try to stick to everything which says "75 Days" to ripen, or less. Our Summers can ripen some longer-growing crops, but there is no guarantee on that.

I don't know about you all, but right after Christmas each year, I start counting the days until that first dirt can be dug into - Heaven!

SunBakedParadise

This is my first year doing several seed exchanges, I am very excited about the heirloom tomatoes I have coming. But I have some first timers entering the garden this year;

Vegetables: Louffa Gourds, Honey Dew, Glass gem corn, Fin de bangols, purple cauliflower and rainbow chard

Perennials: African Iris, Sea Lavendar, Kangaroo Paw

Herbs/Spices: Ginger, cardamom, cumin, and lemon verbena

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

We have about 2 feet of snow on the ground with rain coming this weekend and then possibly more snow after that. :( It should make things pretty interesting - something like an ice skating rink surrounded by snow by the time all the rain floods the plowed roads and freezes.

So we're just starting seedlings in the basement hoping to start planting outside in early April.

This year we're planting: Broccoli, Kohlrabi, Cauliflower, Green Bell Peppers, Cukes, Snow peas, Green and Yellow Beans, Parsley, Dill, and Basil for veggies and herbs. For Flowers: Marigolds, Vinca Cora, Gazinias, Salvia, Dusty Miller, Coneflowers, Coleus, Blanket Flowers, Sunflowers and Ice Plant ground cover.

Each year we plant our own annual flowers for our annual beds in the yard and for around the veggie garden area. Beginning last year we started trying to plant some perennial flowers for our large shrub beds for borders and focal features with the shrubs.

Can't wait for the weather to warm up some! :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nothing growing here at this point. The snow came off the lawns but the garden space is still snow covered.

The forecast is for more snow and rain in the next few days. High temps have been in the low 40s.

I am not going to start things indoors.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I really do not think I will continue to start things indoors. Maybe a few peppers that need to be in extra early to prune but that's it. Especially because there is a fairly decent chance that I will start working at my local nursery soon (fingers crossed) so I will get an employee discount so I have a feeling it will be cheaper.

weterman

I'm growing snow in my driveway. Overnight it grew 3 inches!

SpicyMonkey
Newly Registered

I'm starting my first attempt at growing a "natural" based garden. I dug up some soil to sow my seedlings in (Broccoli, Hearty kale; a mix between white and Russian I believe, watermelon and a Variety of peppers) They recently Sprouted up. I will be planting them in my 10x8 garden once my compost is ready or I acquire a yard or a couple. I hope this all goes well. :mrgreen:

dsyukon

Tom's , cukes , peppers & zucchini.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The snow is off and I actually planted a row of parsnips. The fall planted garlic is looking great. I wonder if some radishes might grow in this cool weather?

applestar
Mod

How well do parsnip seeds keep? I have a bagful from a couple of years ago.
I should just go ahead and sow them....

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

My garden this year will depend on where my partner moves this summer. If she ends up with a backyard suitable for a garden then I will prepare one and get it ready for a fall garden for this year. Then a spring/summer/fall garden next year.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Oh my! Still growing ice. We had a few days in the 50s and the snow melted. Today it came a storm and we now have a fresh coating of white and the temperature this evening is 32 degrees. Looks like about 3 inches of snow. Maybe by mid April I'll get a chance to plant something?

imafan26
Mod

I finally am getting some room for the seedlings. I still have too many plants. I started basil, fennel, lacinato kale, curly kale, peanuts, alyssum (for beneficials), lemon balm, strawberries are making runners and some are starting to fruit. Some of the citrus fruit are getting bigger, eggplant, thyme, oregano, cilantro, cutting celery, hon tsai tai, lettuce, green onions, leeks, snow peas, tender green cucumbers, won bok, pak choi (harvesting), beets (harvesting), arugula, sunflowers, roselle, poamoho beans are drying so I am letting the pods dry to save the seed and same with the snow peas.

I just planted more swiss chard and the ginger hasn't come up yet. My peppers did not sprout, the nights were cool. It is getting warmer so I'll try again.

I still have a couple of broccoli left and some wild tomatoes. The older hot peppers are looking better and some are starting to fruit. I did not realize I had so many Trinidad Scorpions. I made cuttings from the meyer lemon, lavender, Mexican oregano, bay leaf, rosemary, and divided the thyme.

The pakalana isn't doing much but I did some ground layering. The stevia has started growing again and most of the lily bulbs I planted have started to sprout and I planted a pineapple top. Myoga is showing leaves. I am still waiting on the brussels sprouts just tiny little nibs so far. ( I planted them last July) and the chayote are coming on strong.

The weeds have exploded with the rain and I have to cut the grass again. My glads are blooming and the nasturtiums are trying to take over the lawn. And the grass is trying to take over the border beds.

The orchid show was last week and only one orchid was bloomed out. This week the honohono, den aggregatum and the oncidium with only one bud open last week now has a full spiral spray. I got some more honohono cuttings from the white and lavender den. anosum and a nestor too. Hopefully I'll get some new ones for next year. I must remember to feed them all.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”