sepeters

bolting bok choy

Hello All! It's been a while!
The weather in Phx has been very warm. Mid 70s for the past week and supposed to be 80 in a few days. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. After all, you don't have to shovel sunshine. :D But my bok choy is bolting! :(

This is my first successful bok choy season, and from what I've heard bok choy is infamous for being quick to bolt. So what do I do now?
I know that the floret can be harvested and is supposed to be quite yummy, but will my bok choy be bitter now?
If it is still sweet can I just harvest the floret and stalk and then continue to harvest the outer leaves in a cut-and-come again fashion? Or will the plant die unless I harvest the entire head?
They were succession planted and so far only the oldest/largest (not yet fully mature) have started to bolt. Will the smaller ones also bolt in during the heat wave?
And lastly, one of the larger ones got away from me and the flowers are opening already. If I intend to collect seed from it do I need to leave another bok choy to flower? Will it cross with other plants? It's neighbors are cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and kale.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Now I guess you can cut it off, the bolt, or wait and collect the seeds.

Rogue11

I have the same problem with my bok choy this year. It's been too warm for too long here in Southern California, I suppose. My only winter vegetables that did well this year are my beets and my peas.

When my bok choy bolted last year (which wasn't until mid March) I tried to make it last a little longer by cutting the stem, but the leaves soon turned yellow too and it was a lost cause. So I ended up letting two of the plants grow out and flower for seeds and pulled the rest.

This year I'll harvest both the florets and leaves and use them in my Chinese New year dishes. I'll leave 1 plant growing again for seeds (last year I got way too many seeds)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”