Black River

Any Tips for Selling Heirloom Seedlings for Profit?

I have thrown around the idea of selling a few seedlings every spring. We have a farmer's market a couple of blocks from my house. So far only one guy from a local greenhouse has set up out there. I thought maybe I could sell cabbage, brocolli, cauliflower, and brussell sprouts in really early spring. Later I would sell tomatoes, squash, melon, etc. for warmer weather. Has anyone ever tried this from scratch? If so, any tips? What would be a fair price to ask?

countrykat

I havn't tried it yet but have been considering it. I was thinking of trying peppers, several types of tomatoes, cukes and melons. It almost seems like a sure fire way to make some extra money. The only reason I havn't yet is because you would think if it were that easy, everyone would be doing it. I would love to hear from those who have tried with what worked and what didn't.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Yes, sorta. As I have mentioned before, am at a farmers market in Memphis, and have fresh cut herbs from my back yard. I have also had some fiber items, knit and woven (my main thing has been fiber, herbs evolved.) I am now playing with plant starts, and this is a learning curve. Potential customers are interested in the starts, and I am trying to increase that side. I am going for a few herbs, native perennials and in general eclectic, not veggies.

Check your regulations for the market (they all vary) and state. For example, I don't need a growers license for a couple of flats, but would for a table full
What are your market regulations, booth fees, etc.
Pricing? Stay within realm of starts bought elsewhere. If your starts are healthy and pretty can go a tad higher, but not twice the garden center.

Hope this helps.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

As CountryCat says, if it was easy ... I think the only surefire way is to be growing under contract. That is so common these days but it is where the industry is and you aren't going to be "the industry" :).

I assume you have a greenhouse. You should put a pencil on a piece of paper and figure out what your capacity is and what you need in sales to make it worthwhile. Like if you have to pay $35 to be there but your production would amount to only $100 of plants per marketday after putting in $35 for seed & materials. Are you willing to be down there for the day on the chance you can make $30?

I can almost guarantee that some of the plants will still be on the table at the end of the day. That is just the psychology of the customer. They are very reluctant to buy what others have passed up.

You can't play it conservatively and only bring 80% of your product, of course. "Pile it high & kiss it goodbye!" Customers like to choose from an abundance. God love 'em.

Per seed cost goes down with larger packets but buying 2,500 German Giant seeds might be a bad idea, especially if everyone is looking for Brandywine plants. You probably don't have the problem with a need to stay away from varieties there in AR. Still, you want your customers to be successful. They will come back next year!

They may not recognize the names of very many heirlooms. See what cooperative extension is recommending to local gardeners, what's getting good press. Be ready to make good recommendations yourself. Find varieties that you are enthusiastic about!

Markets often start slowly. One thing - customers like to attend outdoor markets during good weather. Warm-season varieties sell much easier for us than early-season plants. It doesn't mean you should not be there early- I call those early efforts, "paying our dues."

Make sure the market has a good customer "flow." I swear everybody with a parking lot thinks he or she can set up a farmers' market. You aren't there for the market manager's benefit!

I think I have gone full circle. Do your research and plan on having fun :).

Steve

Black River

I think it is $5.00 for the local farmer's market permit and you can sell all season long, two days a week. It's kinda like a yard sale permit. I do not have a greenhouse yet, I use shelving units in my garage with shop lights to grow my seedlings. I always have great looking plants, especially tomatoes. I have expanded the space I had last year, andit would be fairly easy for me to start a few more plants to sell. I'm not looking for large scale profit, I just want to make a few extra bucks. I may set up a booth in my front yard to sell on regular days when I'm not at work.

I am trying to rebuild the engine and other parts on my grandad's 1940 Farmall B. It sat for 40 years and the engine was frozen up. I have the engine and tractor apart and ready to rebuild, just need cash. Every time I have a little money saved to buy parts, something comes up. I thought I could use the profits from selling seedlings to put toward parts. My father has cancer of the bladder, and I hope to get the old tractor running to let him hear the engine idle before he passes on. So, I'm not looking to make a living, just a few extra bucks.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, if you could get that Farmall out in the yard . . !

You know how guys notice things like that.

Put a sign that says "Black River Heirlooms" or something like that on a half sheet of plywood. Hope you don't cause accidents and go for it!

Best of Luck.

Steve

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I think everything has been covered so good luck! Keep us updated on how it goes.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I have sold in flee markets many times over the years many plants and actually had my own flee market and auction! I also sold my bobbers at fleemarkets and over 35 sport shows so I know what to expect!

The first thing is to get plants that others are not selling. I find that sun flowers in a single pot sell good> The teddy bear sunflower is a good example. One of the best way to sell is to cut a picture of what you are selling out of the seed catalog and make a color copy 5 time the size of what is in the catalog! Sell you tomato or peppers in a 4 pack where you can give a good price like a $1,00 a 4 pack. Lowes and K-mart charge double if not more! Varity is the spice of life is also true in plants.

Something different like the black or green tomatoes in 4 packs! If I had a small garden I would like a dozen mixed of tomatoes like 3-- 4 packs! Depending how nice the plants are a 4 pack anywhere from $1 to $2 would work! Even take a catalog to show them on a 1 to 1 basis what they are getting but the inlarged pictures will sell your products. Small packs of seeds you save will also sell. Climbing runner beans a $1 a dozen sell! 30 years ago I sold a 6 pack of tomatoes with 3 dozen of 6 varieties. I think at that time I sold them for $2 for the whole package in a white envelope that said 6 pack to go! I still have the envelopes about 30 packs and the seeds are still in them. I even had a white tomato! Seeds are harder to sell than plants since there are so many 20 cent packs!

Agway sells seed flats for about $1.00 you can sell them and make $.25 on a sale. Bird houses scratch post all fit in at the farmer market as does food like cakes! Tomato post sell good! Anything garden related will sell! People go to the dollar stores and buy the seeds at the end of the year for 5 cents a pack and make money in the spring! Buy a big sack of perlite and double your money by selling it by the gallon or 5 gallon bucket.

Make some cold frames and start cabbage and cole crops outside or put you inside plants in cold frames as the season progresses. Cold frames work! Hope this helps!

imafan26
Mod

If you do decide to sell, make sure you check out your market first. I find that customers do not stray into things that they are not too familiar with. People like heirloom and organic vegetables and herbs. It helps if you give them recipes too.

Things that I can sell

Kale (hot right now)
Chili peppers, but only Jalapeno, Tabasco, Ghost, and Anaheim are really wanted. People do not want peppers they don't know except for a few who are collectors.
Mint- spearmint, chocolate mint, peppermint
Dill
Eggplant purple long or round (This may be a local thing. Many ethnic groups eat eggplant here)'
Dwarf papaya (unfortunately they always grow up eventually)
Sweet Basil
Cilantro
Bay leaf
Citrus trees. Ready to fruit.

Things that are hard to sell:
Epazote - It smells like gasoline, not a lot of Mexican cooks here
Ngo gai (culantro) most people don't know what to do with it.

Things I can sell to the right people for a good price mainly because these are not common plants here:
Black pepper vine- piper nigrum
Multiplier onions
cardamom
pandanas
comfrey
Roselle
green rose

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”