SuburbanHomestead

What's the right spacing for vegetables? video

Here is episode four of the web series on gardening I am doing. It speaks of the need to harden off seedlings and about the proper spacing for planting. Do you guys have any insights on the topic?

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Yes! insight, I seem always to plant certain plants, lettuce, mustard and such, too close. I'm sure that is because I plant them in their final growing place, instead of in containers. Then I pick every other plant, until they are far enough apart, so as to grow, and pick just the outer leaves. It is painful to pick the plants to thin, I may try space planting instead of sprinkling.

Is that insight or just hindsight?

Richard

SuburbanHomestead

valley wrote:Yes! insight, I seem always to plant certain plants, lettuce, mustard and such, too close. I'm sure that is because I plant them in their final growing place, instead of in containers. Then I pick every other plant, until they are far enough apart, so as to grow, and pick just the outer leaves. It is painful to pick the plants to thin, I may try space planting instead of sprinkling.

Is that insight or just hindsight?

Richard
Insight I would say. Thinning plants is never fun. Thanks for watching and commenting. I hope the information is helpful.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Thinning is never fun unless you are doing it by eating! :) I tend to plant carrots and lettuce and such a bit too close and let them grow that way a little while until there is enough to make a couple bites. Then I start thinning by pulling them and eating them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”