Durgan
Cool Member

Broccoli, Cauliflower, and Celery First of the season. Zone

Broccoli, Cauliflower, and Celery First of the season. Zone 5B

25 June 2007 Broccoli, Cauliflower, and Celery First of the season.

All three vegetables were grown without any "cides". There is not any trace of insect damage. There are 12 plants of each.

The cauliflower may not produce on all plants because the June weather has been rather hot, and cauliflower will not produce flowering heads if the weather is too hot when maturing. A spring crop is risky on a large scale.

The celery plant is huge and still growing. The inside stalks are normal size now. This was my first effort in growing celery.

Durgan.

lillgardnr

I want to grow broccoli and celery to. when should I start them?

Durgan
Cool Member

lillgardnr wrote:I want to grow broccoli and celery to. when should I start them?
They are probably cold weather crops. I plant broccoli when it is very cold in April. Celery I put in when it was slightly warmer. Both can take a little frost. This is not an issue with your location, but some crops don't grow when it gets too hot.

Durgan

lillgardnr

so will I be able to grow them in the fall, when it cools down a bit? 8)

Durgan
Cool Member

lillgardnr wrote:so will I be able to grow them in the fall, when it cools down a bit? 8)
That is true. Plant about 15 July or later so the fruiting body matures when the weather is cool. This date is applicable for Zone 5, so adjust your dates accordingly. I have never attempted a late planting, but I will try this year if I can get the plants.

Durgan.

sungirl

Your vegetables look so healthy! If you didn't use any "cides" what did you use, if you don't mind me asking/ :)

lillgardnr

thank you Durgan, I love having a date set...the 15th,... so I have about two weeks to get there beds ready. :D

canuck

Hello there

I am fairly new at gardening, this is my third year with veggies and I do them all.
I have never heard of the cawliflower in hot weather and have always grown mine in my greenhouse with excellent results, just wondering how hot it has to be to get no head of cawliflower?
I live in central BC and boarder on a zone 3/4. My green house stays at a pretty steady 25-28 degrees.
Just thought that if they don't like the heat and I am having this good of luck with them already that if I accually grew them in the conditions that they prefer I would get monsterous heads. So what is the ideal temperature for them?

Thanks

Durgan
Cool Member

canuck wrote:Hello there

I am fairly new at gardening, this is my third year with veggies and I do them all.
I have never heard of the cawliflower in hot weather and have always grown mine in my greenhouse with excellent results, just wondering how hot it has to be to get no head of cawliflower?
I live in central BC and boarder on a zone 3/4. My green house stays at a pretty steady 25-28 degrees.
Just thought that if they don't like the heat and I am having this good of luck with them already that if I accually grew them in the conditions that they prefer I would get monsterous heads. So what is the ideal temperature for them?

Thanks
All the commercial growers in Ontario basically Zone 5 produce Cauliflower in late fall. The supermarkets are flooded with superb cauliflower at this time. Never or almost never is cauliflower produced locally in the Spring season. I have ten plants and June this year was very hot artound 25 to 30 and about four plants did not head, and the ones that did are almost finished-meaning they are fully mature. They bloom too fast if at all if the temperature is too high (probably above 20). Last year June was cool and I had 12 monstrous heads in perfect condition. Not proof but a good indicator of my observations.

\Daurgan.

sewmammabear

Hmmmm...... this is my first experience growing cauliflower and I was expecting it to have started forming heads by now but we had a lot of hot weather in June. I wonder if it's just not going to? I'm zone 4 but we've had a couple of days close to 90 F (definitely over the 25-30 C you're describing)

Durgan
Cool Member

sewmammabear wrote:Hmmmm...... this is my first experience growing cauliflower and I was expecting it to have started forming heads by now but we had a lot of hot weather in June. I wonder if it's just not going to? I'm zone 4 but we've had a couple of days close to 90 F (definitely over the 25-30 C you're describing)
You will probably have a bumper crop in North Dakota.

By the way I was born in log cabin north of you in Carrot River, Saskatchewn, and spend my early years living the rustic life on a homesteaad. I don't ever remember growing cauliflower there, but we did have marvellous vegetable gardens. It was a short season but plenty of long sunny days. You probably have the same.
Durgan.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”