dracula13

Eggplant Pruning

So this is my eggplant that is about 5 weeks old:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1010 ... 8111162905

Please don't worry about the holes. I had an army worm problem, but I took care of it. Also, is the trellis I built it too small?

Also, I understand that you prune eggplants to three branches, but I am so confused on how you do that, can someone please help?

imafan26
Mod

It is too young to prune. I do not prune my eggplant except to renew it and that isn't until it has had fruit. I will take off leaves that have fungal problems and bare branches but I never heard of pruning to three branches. Eggplants will live more than one year and get quite large so they need to have space.

I usually just stake the eggplant, I do not need a trellis or cage.

Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant are all solanaceous and grow faster and produce better in warm weather. They will also share the same pests.

veggiedan
Cool Member

I assume that eggplants that need to be pruned are the full-sized ones, in order to keep from having too many fruits. For Asian eggplants, which I grow regularly, I never prune. Wouldn't think of doing so. I suppose if the plant started to get bushy, that might be a reason, but mine never do.

imafan26
Mod

Even with the black beauty eggplant, I really don't prune only stake the branches. I would only have to cut branches or fruit if they rub on the branches. The fruit would still be edible, but would have more scars.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”