Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Radiation effects on plants.

This is very interesting.

5 young girls did an experiment of cell phone radiation on plants, all the plants died.

https://www.waldorftoday.com/2013/07/stu ... fi-router/

webmaster
Site Admin

Heh. :P

billw
Cool Member

It is a badly designed experiment that cannot reach any useful conclusions.

I strongly suspect that if you try to reproduce it, you'll get different results.

webmaster
Site Admin

Maybe we should do our own tests. Do it with similar objects as well as some fun tests. Like, do one set that is exposed to radiation from a barbie doll and another set of seeds that is exposed to the radiation from an American Girl doll and see if there's a difference.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Just asking, how could a plastic barbie give off radiation?

ion

ReptileAddiction wrote:Just asking, how could a plastic barbie give off radiation?
Yes, exactly! I just don't see it happening.
A regular Malibu Barbie would give off no radiation. Clearly, a nuclear physicist Barbie would be a far better choice. And the radioactivity of American Girl dolls vary depending on the applied accessory.

Back to the topic, it's weird how seeds and sprouts die in a room with two wireless routers. Yet, shrubs and trees manage to grow in Chernobyl.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Very interesting. I conducted a experiment in college on the effects of radiation on a capacitor. It did effect the charge! It was a different type of radiation. Light is a form of radiation along with many other rays!

Meatburner

OMG, my seeds are doomed for spring planting. I sort and index my seeds at my desk which is 3' from my router. I will have nothing germinate!!!! This is terrible news. I wish I had know this before now.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Florescent lights give off some radiation. I wonder if putting those light to close to new seeds planted could deform the new seedlings especially if some seeds have not sprouted yet!

webmaster
Site Admin

Does that even qualify as cell phone radiation? I may be wrong but I don't think so. I'm pretty sure Wi-Fi routers broadcast signals along the same frequencies as many wireless landline phones.

Meatburner

This is all such alarming news. :hide:

Aida

Interesting idea, I congratulate the kiddos on actually being involved in their science experiment- instead of making a volcano like everyone else in a science class. :roll:

That being said, there are a lot of reasons for why their seeds died, and I doubt it's the cell phones. x3

This reminds me of a large group of scientists who tried to test the power of prayer. They prayed for the survival and growth of one group of plants, which thrived. Then they prayed for the death of another group of plants, and they died. I saw this on the Oprah show, and my mom yelled at me for bursting out in laughter. :lol: :>

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I doubt if a cell phone would effect a plant. Maybe a seed if it was next to it for a few weeks !I guess next it will be a magnet! Electric wires on telephone poles create lots magnetism and radiation but I see no harm to plants near it! Radio waves are everywhere and seem to have no effect.

ion

webmaster wrote:Does that even qualify as cell phone radiation? I may be wrong but I don't think so. I'm pretty sure Wi-Fi routers broadcast signals along the same frequencies as many wireless landline phones.
Cellphones and wireless routers both use radio waves and their frequencies aren't that far apart.

veggiedan
Cool Member

Well, they did it with a control, which was a responsible test. Of course, the control was in the other room, and who knows what was in that other room. A simple verification would be to do it again, with the same two rooms, but with the router in the other room. If they got the same result, that would be significant. It would also be interesting to see what happens in more than two trays. I have to suspect that one tray may not have been prepared in the same way as the other. If you prepare ten trays all together, and shuffle them up before locating five of them in each place, that would be useful.

I too don't believe the emissions from a router should have any effect, but an experiment is an experiment.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

For God’s sake don't feed any of that radiated plants to your iguana we don't need that Godzilla thing happening again!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Radiation may actually help plants to grow. Look at sunlight it has all kinds of radiation in it and even burns your skin! Radiation is a form of energy. Plants absorb things that we don't benefit from. Vitamin D comes from sunlight and helps our health!

veggiedan
Cool Member

Yes, "radiation" is a loaded word. Visible light is radiation. Radio waves are radiation. High energy gamma rays are radiation as is hard ultraviolet light. Partlcle radiation is different entirely. Those latter kinds of radiation aren't going to help anything. What's dangerous about electromagnetic radiation is very simply how much energy gets absorbed. A hard ultravoiet photon and a gamma ray pack a big punch, and will destroy a cell when absorbed. Microwave radiation, that would come from a cell phone or a router, doesn't pack a lot of energy, and actually isn't absorbed that efficiently by organic stuff anyway. We're continually bathed in microwave radiation from radio and TV stations, as well as cell phones and routers. Of course, the kind of microwave radiation in a microwave oven is tuned to be absorbed by water. So putting a microwave oven transmitter near you or your plants without the shielding that such an oven comes with isn't that smart, given that we're made up of a lot of water.

One can work out the intensities, but I have to think that if you live near a cell tower, you're getting irradiated with more microwave radiation than if you hold a phone up to your ear once in a while, or have a home network.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Ultrasonic Industrial parts cleaner frequency range is 40 to 80 KHz = 80,000. Hz

Cell phone frequency range is, 800MHz to 1.800MHz = 800,000. to 1,800,000,000. Hz.

Router frequency is 2.4GHz = 2,400,000,000. Hz

Kitchen microwave oven frequency is 2.45GHz = 2,450,000,000. Hz

Radiation transmission is directly proportional to cross sectional area as light transmits from a light bulb. As you get farther and farther away from a light bulb the amount of light is many times less every time the distance doubles, that is why you can not light up an entire football stadium with ONE 100 watt light bulb and you can not heat a swimming pool with a blow torch and you can not heat your house with a birthday candle.

If you stand across the room from a 25 watt light bulb you have no ill effects, but if you put your face on the light bulb you get the skin burned off of your face. A router is low power and is no different than a light bulb.

It makes perfect sense to me if a micro wave oven can cook food a Router being the save frequency can cook plants that are too close to the transmitter and a cell phone glued to your ear can fry your brain. Brain tumors have increased several times over since the invention of cell phones and the cell phone companies continue to say, you have NO PROOF cell phones caused it!!!

Once upon a time people believed the world was flat. One day a man claimed the world is round, everyone laughed. Barbie Dolly had not been invented yet. There are none so blind as those who will not see.

veggiedan
Cool Member

Um, no. Ultrasonic cleaners are vibrating air and fluid, not electromagnetic radiation. Totally different.

Also, as I said, microwave ovens are TUNED to exactly the frequency (2.45 GHz) that water molecules absorb. So for a given power, a microwave oven transmitter is VASTLY more damaging to water-containing material (like most organic material) than transmitters that are not - say, ones that are tuned to 2.40 GHz, like portable phones and routers. Routers and phones are not tuned to that water-absorbing frequency of 2.45 GHz precisely because the water in the air would absorb it before it got that far. 2.45 GHz is thereby an extremely poor frequency for radio transmission, but a really good frequency for cooking. Sounds like they're roughly the same frequency, but in terms of their effect on water-bearing material, they're totally different.

As far as we know, 2.40Ghz radiation just goes right through you. That's why you can make a phone call when the phone is pressed up to your ear. There have been lots of careful independent experiments on the effect of communication microwaves on living things and there is no strong evidence that they are harmful. I'd be more careful about what you eat than what you put next to your ear.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

veggiedan
Cool Member

Love it! Thanks. Of course, we're mostly made of water too, but it's probably true that we each have some poisonous aspects of our personalities.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”