mon$
Newly Registered

Is this lettuce?

I decided to try lettuce in my garden this year, and decided to try a mix, Musclan. Most died off, but in the small bed two of the mix flourished, esp. with the cool weather we've been having lately. I KNOW one of them is from the seed I planted, but the other is in question. I've found the questionable one in the grass surrounding the bed. The image on the seed package is no help... nor have I been able to find an image with a net search. So, I came here, hoping someone will recognize one leaf.
If it is from the variety, the leaf was prob. not suppose to get this big - about 8".
I tasted the tip of the leaf, and it has a very strong 'green' taste.
If I'm not around to see the replies, you'll know why. :()
Attachments
102_2451.JPG
102_2451.JPG (38.38 KiB) Viewed 1310 times

billw
Cool Member

Looks more like arugula to me.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

wiki

Mesclun (French pronunciation: ​[mɛsˈklœ̃]) is a salad mix of assorted small, young salad leaves which originated in Provence, France. The traditional mix includes chervil, arugula, leafy lettuces and endive in equal proportions, but in modern iterations may include an undetermined mix of fresh and available lettuces, spinach, arugula (rocket, or roquette), Swiss chard (silver beet), mustard greens (Dijon's Child), endive, dandelion, frisée, mizuna, mâche (lamb's lettuce), radicchio, sorrel, and/or other leaf vegetables

Eric

applestar
Mod

Hmm... It looks familiar, but it doesn't look like lettuce, that's for sure.

...it reminds me of smooth kind of dandelion -- does it have milky sap?

-- arugula would have distinct smell/odor and my arugula have small flaps rather than one continuous broad leaf.

:idea: ...did the mesclun contain radicchio? The outer leaves before the central head forms looks kind of like that....
-- here's somebody's picture posted on Flickr
Radicchio plant. September 14, 2009. by canarsiebk, on Flickr

shadylane
Green Thumb

I think it's a winner applestar..

I was thinking more into the wild lettuce type such as lactuca virosa, scroll down to wild lettuce

https://www.erowid.org/plants/

Although wild lettuce is beneficial to ones health with loads of vitamins, one would have to recognize them which there too is a large family.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”