Aida

Re: How much do you pay for vegetables in the store?

Yes, staples like flour, rice, sugar, beans, salt, oils, and most cooking ingredients are cheaper in the long run than eating out- but produce definitely isn't, in most cases. Often one can find good, in-season fruits and veggies at markets, but those are usually hard to find- since few people shop there. The public market in my town is only one day aweek in the early morning, and is extremely out-competed by large, popular supermarkets. Most of those farmers don't have time to sell their produce everyday or at all, if they do not make enough money and need other jobs.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I don't know where Gary's store gets their produce. In my next of the woods fresh stuff is pretty cheap because a lot of food is produced in California. Most of California is only farm lands.

P.S. Happy belated birthday Jamie!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

No easy answer to this subject! I lived in an urban area so have some choice in grocery stores. I am also a vendor (fresh cut herbs) at a farmers market most Saturdays, so have easy access to good stuff. The market stuff is higher than the store, and all but a couple sustainable, not certified organic. From trade, excess at end of market, and some buying do bring home fruits and veggies in season. Some things we don't grow here, citrus being obvious, and others with a short window such as broccoli.

I have lived on a very tight food budget since forever it seems. One learns to live with it, work around it, and still try put out nutritious meals especially when the kids were growing up. I am now back to making bread, not cheaper but better. Number and variety of ingredients in the kitchen limited. Space and $ both factors. The 'pantry' is a couple of small shelves. I 'love' those quick 'n easy budget recipes ...ingredients to buy minimal; stuff on hand, a can of this or that from pantry just doesn't exist.

It's all relative.
Have fun!
Susan

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

So much is sold on contract to the soopermarket chains.

I have known "farmers" who do not know what crop is being grown on their land. Yes, that is right. Management of the farm has been given over to the contractor. Decisions were made before the growing season began. Everything clicks, clicks, clicks until ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching. And, if it doesn't -- there's crop insurance.

Not only does the consumer just come in as a hapless source of cash there at the end but the "farmer" is just another kind of investor.

Since this is the "food industry" in the US and decisions are based on profits -- the consumers may end up with "food deserts." If I don't have a vehicle and $ for fuel, I'm dependent on public transport, if available, and public food sources. Gonna find good food at a convenience store or fast food joint on some street corner? Not likely.

I am a believer in purchases of staples. Yes, we shop more often than we should but I bet we could go a month easily on just what we have purchased in bulk. With what's in the freezer from the garden: 2 months. The rice, pasta, etc. forms a basis for lots & lots of servings of vegetables. A very large box of macaroni or a bag of rice is cheap compared to buying it packaged by the ounce. Up front cash is needed, but we eat every day! Pasta and rice will keep. It isn't as tho' we will decide eat/not eat somewhere down the calender. At least, I hope not.

Steve
Make everything as simple as possible but not simpler. ~ Albert Einstein

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I totally agree! I really do wish it were easier to preserve stuff from the garden though. The problem is that I do not have the time to cook tomatoes into sauce and stuff like that. I like things like cayenne peppers that if I forget about them long enough they just dry out and I can throw them in a bag and save them forever :) .

Back to the original subject, I wish I had the time to shop at the farmers markets more. I really just do not have the time to. The sad thing is though that quite a few of the "farmers" very obviously just buy the produce from the same places the local stores do. A friend of ours that very often goes to the farmers market near their house found one of the "farmers" sitting behind their van with a giant bulk thing of Kirkland pomegranate seeds scooping them into little cups and selling them as farm fresh pomegranate seeds for like $5 for a little cup of them. That is another reason why I do not go to the farmers market very often, though I do admit there are a few real, good farmers there.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Back to the original subject, I wish I had the time to shop at the farmers markets more. I really just do not have the time to. The sad thing is though that quite a few of the "farmers" very obviously just buy the produce from the same places the local stores do. A friend of ours that very often goes to the farmers market near their house found one of the "farmers" sitting behind their van with a giant bulk thing of Kirkland pomegranate seeds scooping them into little cups and selling them as farm fresh pomegranate seeds for like $5 for a little cup of them. That is another reason why I do not go to the farmers market very often, though I do admit there are a few real, good farmers there.
You would get tarred and feather if you tried that on our island. :lol: Our farmers market has pretty strict local / state rules and most of us are friends or acquaintances. Most venders welcome visitors to their operation and some even have CSAs. Talk to the vendors and you will find out that most if not all are legit

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

:) You might be right but I know there are at least a couple that are not legit. I have to give them credit though, there are quite a few that are good farmers and there are people that make fresh salsa and bread and sell it there which I like.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

There are NO farmers markets in Arizona. There are several things people here call farmers market but they are not farmers markets, they sell no vegetables but plenty of cotton candy, hot dogs, wooden home made toys, cleaning products, arts & craft, etc.

The farmers market in TN sells their produce higher than the grocery store. An item that costs $4 at the store will cost $6 at the farmers market. You need to be careful there are many people that buy produce in 50 lb boxes at the same place grocery stores buy their produce then resell it at the farmers market like it is home grown.

The farmers market in my home town in Illinois is a real farmers market. The entire state is farm country. You will fine produce here very competitive with prices in the grocery store. The people here are very trust worthy you won't get cheated buying something that is not home grown.

I wish there was a LAW that makes it illegal to sell things other than real home grown produce at a farmers market. 10 years in prison in the low voltage electric chair and 5 tabasco enemas every day.

I have a cousin in Fairfield ILL that share crops 2000 acres of farm land. I another cousin in Mattoon ILL that share crops 2000 acres of farm land too. Someone mentioned the owner of the land does not know what is going grown on there land, that is correct if they do not live near the land where they can drive by look and see. My cousin Joe in Fairfield always plants sweet corn on 1 acre and sells it at the farmers market.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Like you said Gary that is what some of the people at mine do. I too have family in IL. You are right it is all farmland.

imafan26
Mod

A lot of the cost of goods and services get figured into everything we buy. I live where the cost of living is either at the top or nearly there, sometimes Alaska beats us. 80% of the food and almost everything else is imported from lumber to diapers.

Since we are 6000 miles from the nearest truck stop everything comes in by air or sea. Every year the shipping charges go up 14%-20%. Even farmers here pay more for land water, fertilizer and pesticides. Transporting goods to market and labor costs and the regressive tax laws also figure in to higher costs. It is actually cheaper to import produce than to produce it locally.

The things we get cheaper than the States are Asian foods. Some local produce are in demand like watercress, green onions, beans, eggplant, Okinawan sweet potato, and papaya. Rice is a more important staple here and we actually import most of our rice from California; better quality rice from Japan and Thailand. Potatoes are sold by the pound or in 5 or 10 lb quantities. It isn't something most people here would eat every day.

Arizona may import a lot of their food also, but cost of living is also a lot lower and it is cheaper to transport goods in from other states. I would assume unlike us with so many states around you that competition can keep the costs down. I would think the price of gas is at least a dollar less.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I agree that it would be a lot cheaper to import food into Arizona than Hawaii. Besides being closer to other states it is also really close to the California Valleys which produces SO much food. Though there has to be some down-side because you get to live there :)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

OMG - my head is spinning! I try to grow the vegetables we eat most. When I do buy vegetables I shop the Farmer's Market - probably a little more expensive but high quality. I also shop my locally owned produce market. The cost of produce is less than WalMart and the quality is better.

You raise an interesting question. I have never actually priced my purchases. I look for freshness and quality. I purchase meat from locally owned markets. A friend gives me farm fresh eggs. There s a local grower who raises free range chickens and ducks. My seafood is either caught by my husband, purchased "off of the boat" or purchased from locally owned seafood markets. I probably pay at least average if not a little above average for my meat an seafood. My produce is either home grown or purchased from a local market which is less expensive than super market prices. I am less concerned about cost than I am about quality and freshness.

Sorry - I did not actually answer your question. OOOPS!
Elizabeth - or Your Majesty

Living and growing in Lafayette, La.

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Elizabeth, your back! I was wondering where you had been.

Anyway, IMO that is the way to do it. That should be the highest consideration when buying food but sadly it is not.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”