Fishnfarmer
Newly Registered

Mulching beets

When's the propper size to mulch beet sprouts, there only a half an inch long but my dirt dries out fairly quick

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Re: Mulching beets

Fishnfarmer, you have waited quite awhile for a response.

I don't mulch much of anything except compost around the potatoes. Beets would be especially risky for mulching in my garden. Well, the risk would be providing cover for slugs.

It would need to be fairly fine mulch for tiny plants. Peat moss or bark dust are the best I can think of. Just my 2¢ worth . . .

Steve
Make everything as simple as possible but not simpler. ~ Albert Einstein

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I would wait till they get a few inches high. I mulch everything in my garden.

imafan26
Mod

Did you add compost to your dirt before you planted? It would help retain more water. I don't mulch my beets either. It grows best during the cooler months when it rains the most, so mulch is not needed. The slugs and snail do love mulch and moist soil.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Well in our area (I live in a nearby city to the OP) we can still have to water during the winter and so I think mulching is important. If we don't have to water it can also just help the plants get from one rainfall to the next. It also helps hold in the rainwater so that we do not have to water for longer after it rains.

To the OP I do not think that if you are growing in the ground your soil should be drying out quickly. Unless you are right on the beach (which vista I do not think touches water) then we have a fairly rich soil that has a good amount of clay so holds water very well. Are you growing in the ground or in a container? When you water are you making sure that you water deeply? When the plants are new you do have to keep the surface moist but at this time of year I do not think it would dry out that quickly.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would mulch with fine pine shavings from tractor supply and a little sand to keep the snails out. A little Epsom salts will also help the beets grow and deter the snails! I use pine shavings all over my garden between the rows since its cheap and keeps the mud down! Pine needles from under pine trees is also excellent and free. A old pine tree has very dark compost several inches deep under the new needles on the ground!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”