nicholas.mccann
Newly Registered

Is it dangerous to eat plants with mushrooms growing close?

I had a few mushrooms pop up right next to my rosemary and I was wondering if it's safe to still eat the rosemary? I know most mushrooms are poisonous, so I assume if they come into contact with other plants they could make them unsafe to eat?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Some mushrooms are poisonous. Most are not, but it is never a good idea to eat a mushroom unless you are sure you know what it is and that it is not poisonous. The poison is inside the mushroom, it does not affect anything that grows next to it. Your rosemary is fine/ safe.

However, the fact that mushrooms are growing there suggests that the soil is more moist and rich than the rosemary really likes. If you want your rosemary to keep thriving, you probably need to find a way to let everything dry out more.

webmaster
Site Admin

Actually, most mushrooms are not poisonous. Out of all the thousands of species, the number of harmful species are under a hundred. :)

Mushrooms are generally a good sign of healthy soil. So that's a good thing to have it there. Even if the mushroom were poisonous, which is possible, I doubt enough of it could get onto the plant to upset your stomach, much less to hang onto the plant through a washing to make it to your plate in sufficient quantities to cause illness. ;)

It's possible that the mushroom is keeping the soil at a right moisture balance by absorbing any excess. But definitely make sure the rosemary is not overwatered. My mother had a twenty year old rosemary that she claimed could not be killed, no matter how often she uprooted it and moved it around her yard. It was a beautifully gnarled plant.

applestar
Mod

I agree with what's been said.

I'll just add that I would take extra care in washing the rosemary or any other edible if there is a mushroom growing nearby to rinse off the spores which may have been released and carried by air movement, especially if you are sensitive to mold, yeast, and other fungi. -- This is different from any concern that the mushroom might be poisonous.

nicholas.mccann
Newly Registered

It's been rainy and cloudy a lot lately so It's hard to let the soil dry out. Thank you all for the help! I'm going to pick some rosemary to cook with!

webmaster
Site Admin

Welcome to our forum! :)

applestar
Mod

I love rosemary -- maybe I'll make something too -- I have some dried from the summer harvest as well as the two plants that are indoors for the winter for fresh sprigs.... Hmmm 8)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Welcome Nicholas. :)
I'm going to pick some rosemary to cook with!
Not a 100% positve, but I'm thinking the heat alone will sterlize.

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”