jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hubbard Squash

22 pounds

Part of it ready to go in the oven. We plan to bake it then cool it and bag it and freeze it.

I cooked a chunk of it for dinner. It was good squash.

Still there is a bit left for the neighbors. Wow, what a lot of food from a single fruit.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Mine's been sitting for awhile. I haven't weighed it, but it's pretty sizable.

I haven't cut it open because I know I can't use it all, and freezer space is scarce right now. I should probably process it before it gets upset and rots on me.

TG is coming up; I suppose can make soup and pie with it.

This might be another good opportunity to use the katana :D

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I had to look that up, TheWaterbug! Well, when we had an Oregon garden where I could grow Pink Banana squash, I'd take them out to the chopping block and cut them open with an axe!

Yes, James' Cucurbita maxima can be used to make the most excellent Thanksgiving pumpkin pie! I can grow the little Blue Hubbards here but the Buttercups do best in my garden - when Benjamin Bunny leaves the seedlings alone :? ! Along with the Banana squash, these are also C. maxima and great choices for pie.

I know that (Lucky) James considers them "ornamentals only" but I have been faced with almost zero winter squash this year because of that wascally wabbit so have been experimenting with the jack o'lantern pumpkins in the kitchen. The pie was oookaay as was the pancakes and there was an interesting recipe for soup where there were so many other flavors that one couldn't taste the pumpkin (not that it had much flavor, anyway :roll: ). Best was pumpkin bread.

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Just for the record, I did eat a piece of a pumpkin just a week ago. To report:

The pumpkin had thick flesh. I suppose it is food, but not much flavor. Any of the maxima squash or a butternut is much better eating.

Does anyone have nutritional info on squash and pumpkins?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It is food, James. Now, if someone could just convince my wife who considers BBQ pork rinds food :roll: .

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov

100 grams of Hubbard squash, boiled has:

1.48 g protein
214 mg Potassium
6.5 mg Vitamin C
4005 IU of Vitamin A

100 grams of Pumpkin, altho' we don't know which one, boiled (don't boil your pumpkin :? ):

.28 g protein
5 mg Potassium
0 g Vitamin C
3069 IU Vitamin A

Now, notice the Vitamin A . . . . See, it's orange . . . . :wink:

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, looks like a good shot of A in both.

No mention of calories or carbs? After all, calories is our first nutritional need.

No protein? Hmmm, we could use some of that too. Some veggies have a bit of protein in them.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

30kcal/100 grams of Hubbard Squash

20kcal/100 grams of Pumpkin

Both of them are about 90% water in that analysis. You can see how if you squeezed that water out, how the numbers would change. Let's say that your squash had as much water in it as wheat, say 15%, I can't reach the calculator :wink: . . . anyway, that squash has a good amount of protein. There such a thing as squash flour? Should be.

Steve :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Good info! Perhaps it is actually food. :shock:

I still think of pumpkins as ornaments.

Sounds like you need to make a rabbit stew? :twisted: Need a recipe?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We have marmots here also, James.

The neighbor's dog tried to run a marmot off and ended up at the animal hospital. Then, I was able to work out a deal with the neighbor! Shot the 2 marmots that had taken up residence in the rock pile nextdoor to the big veggie garden. That was a couple of years ago & I didn't see any there in 2013.

If the bunnies were a little more vicious maybe I could get away with shooting them but they are tolerated like yard pets by some of the neighbors!

Steve

Killer Rabbit, MontyPython :twisted:

applestar
Mod

I have never eaten one -- Hubbard squash, that is.
Maybe next time I see one at the store? I think they only sell the small variety though....

I would add it to my list of squashes to try growing, but maximas are vulnerable to SVB's. They did a number on Atlantic Giant when I tried growing it. ...still... James, yours is the dark green variety, right? Not the "Blue Green"?

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:This might be another good opportunity to use the katana :D
My Hubbard is large, but my butternuts and kabochas are on the small side. I ate an entire butternut last night, and I could have eaten more.

So if/when I open up that Hubbard, I think I'll cut up a kabocha and butternut at the same time and do a "squash off."

This woman is a butternut hater, but I think she just bought some bad ones. Mine are really good.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Apple, yes it is the dark green one. Fortunately (knock on wood) I have not had vine borers here. Perhaps too cold for them to winter, and a long ways to travel to get to me?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

https://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/b ... rel/CO1K77

Not as potent as a 22 LR, but will do for critters up to the size of marmots. Not a firearm so legal for use even within city limits where firearms are prohibited. Quiet.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:
TheWaterbug wrote:This woman is a butternut hater, but I think she just bought some bad ones. Mine are really good.

Not sure how a 3 year taste test of 14 varieties among 15 people makes the Cheif Heidi Fink a Butternut hater.

Eric

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

That is a very interesting article, TheWaterBug!

I think that different varieties are more suitable for both growing and table depending on location. The easy example is my garden where I have trouble with adequate maturity. You know, winter squash should make it to winter but . . . it is a good thing that they can be eaten right off the vine. Partly it is a storage environment problem but it is obvious that some are more ready for storage than others and days-to-maturity ratings don't seem to be of much help.

Taking it just a bit further, and I'm only talking a few miles, we arrive at my old garden site about 500 feet higher in elevation. My choice - never a hitch - was an acorn. Of course, acorns aren't known for good storage qualities but, at least, they didn't have to be eaten as little nubbins and within days!

It seemed that I was on the same soil at my new lower elevation garden but acorns there had the strangest flavor! I tried 3 different varieties over 3 seasons. My neighbors said that they liked acorns and were hoping I'd have some for them. They weren't shy in telling me that they also found them strange-flavored . . . thank you very much :roll: . I have never had what I thought was a bad buttercup. The kabochas and butternuts were good, too.

I wonder about the author's location on Vancouver Island. The Waltham Butternut has been around since 1970, North Carolina State U says. It could be that the variety grown on those Vancouver Island farms changed but I kind of thought that Waltham would be the most likely to show up at a farmers' market. She seems to have my tastes in squash otherwise, however. Most anyone would probably chuck my acorns, tho'.

Steve :?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Others (butternut, acorn, banana, spaghetti) – of these, the only one I really like is banana. I know, a total surprise, but I have done the taste test for a number of years now. Banana squash is generally flavourful, sweet and moist, while the others often leave much to be desired. Acorn has a nice texture and mild flavour, but are hardly worth it for the pain of peeling the ridges. But they can achieve ‘worth-it’ status when baked with the peel on. Butternut used to be great 20 years ago, but has suffered from some kind of watered-down monocrop cultivation or something. I haven’t had a good butternut squash in years. Spaghetti – well, I’ve never liked it, but if you do, by all means, go for it.

and
Squash that almost nobody liked:
butternut (really!)
acorn (there was a bit of division on this, since many loved the texture. Also these probably taste better when they don't have to compare themselves to amazing hubbard and ambercup)
sugar pie pumpkins (this last was kind of unfair, because they are a bit watery and stringy compared with other squash in a plain taste-off, but they are truly excellent for baking, as in muffins and pies).
The second quote is the results of 15 students.

I agree Steve. Soil, Fertilizer, climate and under - overwatering may alter taste.

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It seems that the winter squash need about six weeks after picking to fully ripen for the better flavors.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:This might be another good opportunity to use the katana :D
Here's what the katana and a 9-yr-old can do with a regular pumpkin. The Hubbard will take a bit more technique:

[youtudotbe]https://youtu.be/cXRvvMbjTf4[/youtudotbe]

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Not sure how a 3 year taste test of 14 varieties among 15 people makes the Cheif Heidi Fink a Butternut hater.
True enough. I'm just shocked that none of them liked the butternuts when I've always had such tasty ones. I'm suspecting they just buy bad ones where they conducted the test.

I'm sure she'd like _my_ butternuts :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

What's the background noise. Sounds like a jackhammer

Eric

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:What's the background noise. Sounds like a jackhammer
It's a jackhammer :D.

The next-door neighbor is having their pool rebuilt.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Butternut: I just cooked up a fair sized butternut today. I thought it had an excellent flavor. I had a bit for lunch and put the rest in the freezer for use later.

I quite like these squash, small seed cavity, and flavor and texture was good. They also seem to store well. I have several left and they all look to be in good shape.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Also cooked an Acorn squash. It was dry and tasteless. I have a Banana that I will test one day soon.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

James,

I was inspired to have 1/4 of a buttercup as 1 of my 3 servings of fruit, this morning.

Microwaved, with butter & brown sugar Image .

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the report on Buttercup. I have not tried that one. I will put that on the list.

I have been hearing a lot about squash soup lately. Have never done that. Have you?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Tried a hybrid maxima squash today. I think it was a cross between Hubbard and Banana. It was excellent.

OK, at this point I am going to amend my planting list for next year.
On the list will be:
Hubbard
Banana
Butternut
Buttercup (at Digits recommendation)
a maxima cross

Missing from the list will be:
Spaghetti
Acorn
Red Kuri

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I've just had fish chowder for dinner, James. I stay busy with soups and stews during the winter :wink: . I'm not a very good cook but they keep me out of trouble.

Squash soup? Here is a basic recipe but look below for the "Variations:" Butternut Squash Soup. I don't consider cream an option - it is a must! (I usually use half & half.)

Maggi sauce is good in place of the salt and something like ginger can make it special. Cream cheese stirred in there towards the last makes it fit for company.

Steve :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the recipe. I have been doing some searching for squash soup recipes. Found several. Looks like the main ingredients in all of them are squash, onion, and chicken broth. Many variations are possible depending on what other embellishments one adds. Cream or creamed cheese were in several of the recipes I found. Ginger and nutmeg often mentioned as spices to go in squash soup. Carrots and potatoes also mentioned.

I am going to have to try making some. Looks like you can put about anything you like in it? The only problem is the chicken broth. Guess I'll have to boil a chicken?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Spicy Add 1 chopped jalapeno chile and 1/4 tsp. cayenne with the garlic. Stir in up to 1/4 cup brown sugar at the end. If you like, cream is also a nice addition to this version.
Quote from your recipe Digits. My Mexican friend who runs a restaurant took one of my large squash and made soup. It had some heat like it had some jalapeno in it. Not surprising for him. It was good.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

I'm trying to decide whether to add a ham hock or some bacon bits.

Opinions?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

James,

You need to be careful . .

. with . .

. the sugar.

:) Thought I'd say the pepper, eh? No, peppers are a good choice, and the cream keeps it partially under control. I'm not sure how many of us like "sweet" soup and the squash is somewhat sweet to begin with! Adding an apple is almost a step too far.

Chicken broth? Almost NO bones get out of this house without being boiled first. I'll even do it for a couple of drumsticks in a sauce pan - just keep the heat real low & a timer is my friend :) . The secret of my soup success.

TheWaterBug, I was raised in a household where pork was not eaten. I hardly have an opinion to share. ~
~ Oh wait! I often use bacon when sauteing the onions!

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm vegetarian so no chicken/ bones/ broth. But every time I cook, I simmer up all the onion peels, potato peels, garlic skins, etc etc in to soup stock. Vegetarian soups can be a little bland and watery with out really good stock to base it on, which I always have on hand. I just keep it in a lidded jar in the frig. If I haven't used it by the next time I cook veggies, I just add the new veggie scraps and some extra water in with the stock and simmer again. That way it keeps getting richer and richer.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Oh Yum. Compost tea. :) :lol:

Eric

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

What about the use of agar in vegetable broth, RainbowGardener?

I was the kid who used to show up at the Chinese restaurant and order seaweed soup Image. My friend's family had a restaurant by the time I was in high school. (Actually, the girl who sat beside me in junior high English, and held me spellbound - her family worked at a Chinese restaurant. But, that's another story :? .)

Anyway, the seaweed soup wasn't vegetarian but I came to the idea that the "vegetable gelatine" in the weed may have been one of the reasons I liked it. I've had it in desserts since.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Haha, Eric. :lol: But I think rainbowgardener has the right idea -- According to a "secrets of specialty Asian noodle soup shops revealed" book that's exactly what the chefs do to make the "secret recipe" soup base -- add the stock ingredients to what's left of the previous batch. If by chance they run out of the previous batch, the resulting stock doesn't turn out the same and they say their regular customers notice.

In Japanese cuisine, kelp broth -- konbu -- is a key ingredient in soup base/stock. Also dried anchovies and shaved dried bonito/(I think) skipjack tuna. I don't know if they use the same in Chinese -- Chinese basic soup stock often starts with chicken/pork scallions and ginger.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Oh Yum. Compost tea. :) :lol:

Eric
This made me crack up when I read it. :D

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

TheWaterbug wrote:TG is coming up; I suppose can make soup and pie with it.

This might be another good opportunity to use the katana :D
So mine weighed in just under 15 lbs, and we did open it using the katana:
[youtudotbe]https://youtu.be/y0q8qymCn5s[/youtudotbe]

Cubing it up and skinning it took quite a bit of work. I don't have a big enough kitchen to swing the katana indoors :D, so I used a Chinese cleaver, which worked pretty well.

It's pretty tasty, but not too distinctly different from the butternut, at least not eaten a week apart.

I made soup and pie for TG dinner, but I have a bag of cubes left over. Maybe tomorrow I'll open up a butternut and kabocha and do a side-by-side comparison.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

I finally did get around to eating all three. The kabocha was far and away my favorite; it had the most intense flavor and the smoothest texture.

The particular butternut I ate was a bit of a disappointment; it was a bit stringy and weak in flavor. Previous butternuts from the same vine were much better.

The Hubbard was great in the soup and in the pie, but also a bit weak when just roasted and eaten.

So next year I'll grow butternut and kabocha for sure, and maybe one other if I have space and interest.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The Kabocha is delish!

However, the days-to-maturity ratings on winter squash seem to have little basis in reality in my garden. I think they just don't like the cool summer nights after the cool months of June . . . . I'm not planning on giving up on the Kabochas, tho'.

I learned how to deal with the bland taste of the jack o'lantern pumpkins. These were not "sugar pumpkins" or some other meant for eating. They were meant for jack o'lanterns :? . Anyway, slow roasting them at about 250°f for a couple hours seemed important. Then, after the meat was run thru the food processor, they sat in a colander and dripped (& dripped, & dripped . . .) for several hours. THEN, I had good pie for Thanksgiving! All on advice from cooks better than me :) .

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

In this country at least, it is well to hold those winter squash for a month or six weeks to finish ripening. They get much sweeter with a little time.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”