calvey

first time growing eggplants

Help. First time growing eggplant. Started as a seedling and transferred a few weeks ago into garden.

It seems a bit sickly. I don't see any pests on the leaves. Too much water?

Thanks!
Last edited by applestar on Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced URL codes with img codes to display photo.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Re: first time growing eggplants

Oh, it doesn't look bad to me, Calvey. It should really be starting to grow after a couple weeks of being in there. That soil does look a little saturated and there has been some "abuse" which may have been transplanting shock but also seems to be from a bug or 2.

I'd look under that one wrinkled leaf to the back and see if it has aphids. Every bug known likes to eat on eggplants!!

I don't think it is in a lot of distress.

Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

applestar
Mod

I see squiggly lines of leafminers.

The eaten holes could be slugs or (potato) beetles?
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

imafan26
Mod

Hi
I could not zoom in on your picture but I did see leaf miner, the squiggly line in the leaf on the lower right of the shot. It causes minor damage. If you can find the larvae lump at the end of the trail squish it.

The leaves look chewed and are most likely to be slugs or snails. Look for slime trails. They will hide in a dark moist places during the day. You will most likely spot them in the early morning or at night with a flashlight. I put slug bait in a pot or can and turned on its side in a shady spot. Don't put slug bait on the plant. If you have a dog, get sluggo or worry free, they contain iron phosphate instead of metaldehyde and don't look like dog food.

The browning at the edges of the leaves look like some kind of stress. It could have been from the transplanting or water stress.

I cannot tell how deep the box is and how close the eggplant is to other plants. Eggplant can get quite large so it needs space. I keep mine in 16-20 inch pots.

You live in zone 9b so it does not freeze which is good since eggplant are very susceptible to freezes. It is unusual to start an eggplant at this time of the year. It is a sun loving plant and does better in the warm season. Hairy plants like eggplant and tomato need to be on a fungicide preventive program during the rainy season. Neem oil every week does ok as preventive but won't work as well if you have a problem. In a frost free zone eggplant can live for a few years, but I replace mine after about three years because the production declines.

Use the finger test to check if you need to water. Depending on your soil and weather, watering schedules will need to adjusted. If the top of the soil is still moist you can wait. If you poke your finger in the soil and it is still moist a couple of inches down you can still wait until the soil in the root zone is almost dry. Mulch and a lot of compost in the soil will hold on to moisture longer.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

If leaf-miners and if potato bugs spinosad will kill them but neither bug is much good at hiding. Aphids only "hide" with small size & camouflage.

Yeah, slugs aren't a bug but they "tatter" the edges of leaves & punch holes. There is a slug bait with spinosad that is for earwigs/slugs. I wonder if it would work for leaf-miners and potato bugs.

I'll tell you, that bug-killer was a great blessing for my eggplant when I could no longer find Bacillus thuringiensis var. san diego available. The potato bugs came in waves that year and I couldn't stop them but I had many more than 1 plant to look after!

Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

imafan26
Mod

Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”