bryce d
Cool Member

Morning Glory Menace!! How to Eradicate Morning Glory?

Alright I have a dumb question. I have picked morning glory every Saturday for most of eternity. Just what if a person, instead of picking the morning glory, used a medicine dropper and put a drop of Roundup or other herbicide on each small plant? Would it kill the morning glory? What about the welfare of the other plants in the garden?

billw
Cool Member

It takes more than a drop. You pretty much have to soak a leaf in a container of RoundUp for a few days. Even that isn't a guarantee.

Probably the best way to get rid of bindweed is hungry poultry.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, to get roundup to work it takes a lot of leaf so there is enough chemical on the plant to go down and get the root too. Actually 24D is better than Roundup.

If not using chemicals, just pulling the leaves doesn't get the job done. You have to actually dig out the roots too. This can be done, but its a lot of work. Dig the area with a digging fork and sift out the roots.
Morning glory has an extensive rhizome root system. You have to get them all out.
Last edited by jal_ut on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I should have said that if you really want to go after it with chemicals, fail to plant veggies and let it grow up good with morning glory then when you have a lot of leaf spray it with 24D and goodbye morning glory.

freedhardwoods

jal_ut wrote:I should have said that if you really want to go after it with chemicals, fail to plant veggies and let it grow up good with morning glory then when you have a lot of leaf spray it with 24D and goodbye morning glory.
I agree.

imafan26
Mod

I attest to that. I have bindweed a morning glory relative. I know getting the vines isn't enough, so I have to pull them up at the root. However, do it before they go to seed otherwise there will be even more morning glory seedlings to deal with. The good thing is if I can find the root and pull it a lot of the vines come off with it and the vines that are severed dry up.

bryce d
Cool Member

thanks guys there is a lot to think about.

benali

Morning glory roots (rhyzomes) can go really deep, up to 6 feet I've read, so if you try to dig it all out, be prepared to go deep!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”