jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Re: New to gardening, need help in starting.

I really encourage you to test it out for yourself. Keep on doing what you do with your fields, but set yourself aside one little plot somewhere, 10 x 10 would be plenty or a couple 4 x 10's with paths in between. Quit tilling this little bit of ground, quit putting any synthetics on it, and just work on building up the soil activity as much as you can with mulch, compost, well composted manures, aerated compost tea, organic fertilizer with beneficial microbes and microrrhizae, etc. Use cover crops, keep it well mulched, never let your soil be bare. Plant it diversely and see what happens.
Rainbow, most of what you mention here I do on my fields. I do till. I cannot come up with enough organic matter to mulch it all. I do not make compost tea. I do put some NPK on it. On these points you got me.

Not likely to change either. Too much area for such a comprehensive program.

I do leave all the plant residue on the plot. I do use cover crops. I do add leaves, manure, and grass clippings to the plot. Probably in more weight than the produce I take off. Any organic waste matter generated in the kitchen goes on the plot. Be advised that microbes and microrrhizae are definitely in abundance in my soil.

So you give me a challenge? OK, I will try a 10x10. I will return the favor. Add a little NPK to one of your plots and see what happens. ;)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

So you give me a challenge? OK, I will try a 10x10. I will return the favor. Add a little NPK to one of your plots and see what happens. ;)
Touche!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Indeed! :) I'm not ignoring you, I'm thinking about it and whether I could make it work in a meaningful way.

You have plenty of room to spare. If I were to take up the challenge, I would really want to have a control group, even a tiny one, like two tomato plants my way and two with NPK. But my 200 sq ft makes even that difficult. But that's not a no, that is I'm trying to figure out how/where I could do it.

If you are willing to try, I feel like I should be too! :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”