bryce d
Cool Member

Re: Picture of My Garden Plot

That is a beautiful garden, puts my ten square to shame.
West half of my garden has had a truck load of leaves poured into it every year. also six yards of compost this last year.
I plowed the grass last summer on the east side so I could plant next year. I did plant a row of beans on one side.
I plowed the east side several times trying to get the grass to die.
I will plow one time in February if I get a good dry weekend to stir all of the leaves that I put in this fall.
I guess I just don't understand how you can let the dirt just sit. If you plant a cover crop then that is just more stuff to try and get killed off so you can plant vegetables. Now my plow only goes down about six inches and it would be really nice if I could go down double that. but I can't, so I really don't know what to do other than plow. I have noticed that the west side of the garden has much nicer soil than the East side.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

This was the scene this morning:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Bryce, it would be nice to plow deeper, but for the most part 6 inches is about the max for most tilling and plowing. That will suffice. The roots will penetrate those layers lower, but we don't need to do it.

Around here some farmers will use what is called a "Sub-soiler". It is simply a big long and heavy tine mounted on a tool bar on the back of a tractor. It can be pulled and shoved quite deep to cut some grooves into the lower layers. I have never used one, and can't say much about its effectiveness in helping roots to penetrate deeper. The thought is that it breaks up any hardpan that has formed at the level of plowing depth.

Many studies have been done about the development of roots and how deep they go. Look up some of these papers and you will quickly see that roots have the capacity to go go down, whether we work the soil or not.

https://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrar ... 37toc.html

bryce d
Cool Member

My concern about going deep is that if you don't go deep then it is hard to cover all the vegetation.
Last Saturday I expanded my garden. The best I figure is that I am now up to 1800 square feet. Things go a lot nicer with a few good tools.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Things go a lot nicer with a few good tools.
Certainly right there.

Here is one of my best helpers. The Troybilt hilling potatoes.

Another tool I find very useful:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”