3 Pound Tomato
Cool Member

Super Hot Peppers

Here are a few pictures of my super hot peppers, some of Jay's peach, and some recent ones of late season peppers changing color.

3 Pound Tomato
Cool Member

3 Pound Tomato
Cool Member

These are Jay's peach, Jay's red, chocolate bhut, and Brain strain varieties.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi, Those look great, nice harvest! Do you use them in sauces and/or cook with them? Good for you, hope to have as plentiful a harvest next season.

I have about 20 plants to over winter but none of the varieties you have there.

Richard

3 Pound Tomato
Cool Member

I mainly dehydrate them and grind them up. They are real hot for cooking! I grew about a dozen different kinds Richard. Let me know if you need some seeds Richard.

valley
Greener Thumb

Greetings, I'd love to try a more exotic pepper. I have none that compare. Do you over winter any inside or do you live in an area where winter is somewhat mild and the plants can just be covered in mulch until it warms up?

Glad you took time to reply, I am really impressed with your spread of peppers.

Richard

3 Pound Tomato
Cool Member

I can't keep them over the winter, too cold here in Maryland.

I do pot a few as house plants and keep them going that way.

applestar
Mod

So Jay's is a kind of ghost pepper, huh? -- sounds really hot and more than I can handle, but they look interesting. None of my peppers have the bumpy appearance these have.

I keep my peppers going by bringing them inside during the winter too, though I try both house plant keeping alive and growing as well as letting some (larger plants) go dormant and keeping them nearly dry in the unheated, uninsulated garage. I do lose some in the garage, but most make it as long as the temp stays above 25°F.

I have a couple of 4th year jalapeños that are already looking very sad and may not be able to make it, but they are too big to keep in the house. But I did start new ones this spring.

valley
Greener Thumb

IMG_1153.JPG
I brought in f few that had been frost fried. They are coming back in an upstairs window and they are trying to fruit.

valley
Greener Thumb

IMG_1156.JPG
They are setting flowers and fruit.

valley
Greener Thumb

IMG_1152.JPG

valley
Greener Thumb

IMG_1151.JPG
IMG_1151.JPG (41.87 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
Some are sprouting from the earth next to the dried stick. Not sure if all the flowers will set fruit but they are trying.

valley
Greener Thumb

IMG_1155.JPG
As soon as there are two or more leaves they put a flower. They are in a clay silty soil, the only thing I've done is to spray them with Epson Salts and a Soap mixture, for the aphids. If you saw how black and limp they were you might have told me not to bother. One by one they come back and flower, so far 18 out of 21 are up.

valley
Greener Thumb

may 183edit.jpg
may 183edit.jpg (64.18 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
Some of them turn into horse peppers. I won't swear to that.

3 Pound Tomato
Cool Member

applestar wrote:So Jay's is a kind of ghost pepper, huh? -- sounds really hot and more than I can handle, but they look interesting. None of my peppers have the bumpy appearance these have.

I keep my peppers going by bringing them inside during the winter too, though I try both house plant keeping alive and growing as well as letting some (larger plants) go dormant and keeping them nearly dry in the unheated, uninsulated garage. I do lose some in the garage, but most make it as long as the temp stays above 25°F.

I have a couple of 4th year jalapeños that are already looking very sad and may not be able to make it, but they are too big to keep in the house. But I did start new ones this spring.
The Jays are marketed as "Jay's ghost scorpion", a type of bhut jolokia crossed with a Trinidad scorpion.

https://www.superhotchiles.com/

3 Pound Tomato
Cool Member

I like those pictures green thumb!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Just so you know how things work, the person posting the pictures is (screen named) valley, just as you are screen named 3 pound tomato. Green Thumb is just the rank the site assigns based on number of posts; yours is currently Full Member. That will change if you keep posting! :)

3 Pound Tomato
Cool Member

My bad, I know valley, my pal Richard.

valley
Greener Thumb

Jeff, I'm in proud receipt, they're beautiful! Thankyou

Richard

3 Pound Tomato
Cool Member

I'm glad you like them. We have a hard frost tonight. I went out and plucked off a lot of branches, have a wheel barrow full of them in my back room! LOL

imafan26
Mod

Is Jay's a stable cross or do you have to grow it from cuttings?

I don't know how people can even eat the the ghost peppers. I like to grow chillies but I am not a chili head. I am keeping the ghosts for pest control.

Apple you got a jalapeno to live four years. I rarely get one to live past the second year. Most peter out in the first year and I grow them year round outside. There are a lot of diseases here that do them in, mostly fungal, phythopthora, and nematodes but occasionally a virus. The only peppers that are resilient are the tabasco, Kaala bell, and bird peppers.

valley
Greener Thumb

Last night I enjoyed Yellow bhut jolokia, just a slice of one, nipping it, they excite a flavor or color not in your whole mouth, each pepper acts in a different area.
I remember asking you what you did with yours, at the time I had the same opinion, how can anyone eat them.

I've seen people on Youtube eating them whole, I can't see myself doing that. that would be like hazing.

But nipping with you teeth, I'm sure they would be uncomfortable on the lip, not taking another nip until the color fades, of course
while eating certain foods.

Very nice, very nice indeed.

Richard

imafan26
Mod

I was collecting seeds from the Bhut Jolokia and I was not wearing gloves. The pepper was seedless but my hands burned for two hours after that. I should know better and use gloves and a mask and eye protection when handling hot peppers.

3 Pound Tomato
Cool Member

imafan26 wrote:Is Jay's a stable cross or do you have to grow it from cuttings?

I don't know how people can even eat the the ghost peppers. I like to grow chillies but I am not a chili head. I am keeping the ghosts for pest control.

Apple you got a jalapeno to live four years. I rarely get one to live past the second year. Most peter out in the first year and I grow them year round outside. There are a lot of diseases here that do them in, mostly fungal, phythopthora, and nematodes but occasionally a virus. The only peppers that are resilient are the tabasco, Kaala bell, and bird peppers.
I've never grown from cuttings. I don't think there very stable crosses, meaning peppers readily cross breed with other peppers. The best thing to do is to order seeds from a reputable source.

I can't eat them raw, but have developed somewhat of a tolerance. I can cut one up on a pizza or a sub sandwich. It does make my head sweat. And it is a good idea to handle with rubber gloves to keep your hands from burning everything you touch, LOL.

valley
Greener Thumb

Greetings, A neighbor was over for dinner a day or two ago. I cut slices about 1/8" wide and perhaps 3/4" long. Through dinner I nipped two slices. He tried 1/2 slice and I think it was a bit much, he isn't into hots and had just tried it because it was there.
I've enjoyed the pinkish and yellow ones in the small amount I've described. Not with everything but with certain meals. I have been careful to wash my hands and tried to use a utensil when eating the peppers.

Richard

imafan,You mentioned one time you make an industrial strength spray, was that to spray plants so animals won't eat them?

imafan26
Mod

Yes, I was making it for aphids but it was sprayed on the grass in front of my house because some dog owners weren't picking up after their dogs and it is not nice to hit sh*t with a weed whacker.

valley
Greener Thumb

That's funny! The weed whacker that is.

Do it doesn't hurt the plants? Does it keep the dogs away also? Can you tell me how you render it to a spray, boil it?

We have rabbits and rodents here I'd like to give a dose to.

Richard

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”