weterman

Re: When will my potatoes have sprout enough?

rainbowgardener wrote:
DoubleDogFarm wrote:
thats why I'm growing it, so I can have the seeds. I don't have any tps, I only ate a fruit or 2. the juice tastes bad, but the not juice part taste like rubarb
Alright will someonw please address this!!

Eric
feel free, it didn't quite make sense to me. But I assume you are talking about this:

Potato Fruits Are Toxic, Despite Looking Like Green Cherry Tomatoes
Potato fruits are high in solanine, a substance that is toxic to humans, particularly children. Potato fruits should not be eaten raw or cooked, no matter how much they look like tomatoes!
https://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/weeklypics/8-10-09.html

ok thats why I felt real messed up that day : P

weterman

ok I just poured a cup full of water in there, and the water sat on top for a little bit, and then it sunk down. a bit after I felt under one of the holes, and it was a tiny bit wet. is my water draining good enough?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

One cup isn't nearly enough water for a 5 gallon bucket of soil. Try 4 cups and that might still possibly not be enough. You need to get all that soil moistened and then it should be running out the bottom. You want to be generous with water and then not water it again until the chopstick is drying out.

As was stated let the water run out the bottom and then drain it, don't let your pot sit in the water.

weterman

rainbowgardener wrote:One cup isn't nearly enough water for a 5 gallon bucket of soil. Try 4 cups and that might still possibly not be enough. You need to get all that soil moistened and then it should be running out the bottom. You want to be generous with water and then not water it again until the chopstick is drying out.

As was stated let the water run out the bottom and then drain it, don't let your pot sit in the water.
ok the water was draining out the holes.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My son has been experimenting with true potato seeds. It seems that if you plant seeds for two or three generations, the plants then seem to put on more fruit. I guess they have been propagated from tubers for so long that the fruit end of it has been neglected.

If you want to search for new and interesting varieties, then starting from seed is the way to go. This way you can get some genetic diversity and perhaps an interesting cultivar will show up. When you see something you like, then propagate it from tubers for a couple of years.

Here are some of my son's taters grown from seed. Notice that in some of the cups he also included the fruit of the plant?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I haven't personally grown potatoes from seed, however if you want to do so, start the seeds like you would start your tomato seeds. The culture is the same. Put transplants out when danger of frost is past.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

As noted, potato seed/fruit is poisonous. Do Not Eat.

weterman

jal_ut wrote:As noted, potato seed/fruit is poisonous. Do Not Eat.
gotchya

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So weterman, last we heard from you was weeks ago. Are there any potato plants yet?

weterman

rainbowgardener wrote:So weterman, last we heard from you was weeks ago. Are there any potato plants yet?
no, should there be already?

I have a question, though. will the plant pop up without light? or would it need the light to come out of the ground?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It doesn't need light. It is buried, so the light wouldn't make any difference until it gets above ground.

Yes, you planted it like a month ago? Should have been above ground by now. Remember applestar awhile back telling you: "absolutely nothing seems to happen for about 3 weeks" It's been more than that now. In cold soil outdoors, it might take a month. In warm soil, it might have been only 2 weeks. I would dig one up and see what is happening. If it has sprouted and looks ok, you can just bury it back. But I'm thinking there's a good chance you will find it just sat there and rotted. I have had that happen even in outdoor containers.

weterman

rainbowgardener wrote:It doesn't need light. It is buried, so the light wouldn't make any difference until it gets above ground.

Yes, you planted it like a month ago? Should have been above ground by now. Remember applestar awhile back telling you: "absolutely nothing seems to happen for about 3 weeks" It's been more than that now. In cold soil outdoors, it might take a month. In warm soil, it might have been only 2 weeks. I would dig one up and see what is happening. If it has sprouted and looks ok, you can just bury it back. But I'm thinking there's a good chance you will find it just sat there and rotted. I have had that happen even in outdoor containers.
ya I dug it up, the potato was unchanged.

weterman

what would you think caused the potato to fail?

billw
Cool Member

Had it sprouted before you planted it? This is not the usual time of year for potatoes to break dormancy, so you either need one that was harvested very early this year or a type that has minimal dormancy. (Or to treat the tuber with chemicals that will help to break dormancy. https://www.cipotato.org/library/pdfdocs ... e32465.pdf)

weterman

billw wrote:Had it sprouted before you planted it? This is not the usual time of year for potatoes to break dormancy, so you either need one that was harvested very early this year or a type that has minimal dormancy. (Or to treat the tuber with chemicals that will help to break dormancy. https://www.cipotato.org/library/pdfdocs ... e32465.pdf)
ya it already sprouted. It came from my garden.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”