Luna6
Newly Registered

New veg garden advice

Hi, we recently purchased a new house in the country and I'm trying to figure out where to put the garden. One good option because of the direct sunlight is beside the gravel road but I'm concerned about the gravel dust coating the plants and causing a problem. Anyone have any advice about the dust?

billw
Cool Member

Does the road have a lot of traffic? Take a look at the plants along the road now and see if they are covered with dust. I suspect that it won't be much of a problem. You could plant root crops close to the road and leaf crops farther back to keep them from getting gritty.

Luna6
Newly Registered

Not much traffic since it is a private road, there are about 9 houses past us that use the road. Good idea thanks I'll check the area I'm thinking to see how dusty the grass is.

imafan26
Mod

The biggest problem around here about having a roadside garden is that people have a tendency to raid it. It is a private road but other people other than your neighbors may go past it. Most of the community garden plots here especially those that are not fenced off from the public are raided all of the time. Even the fenced ones are regularly broken into when people know where they are and can see the fruit. The homeless even regularly go into some of the community gardens at night to sleep because they feel safer and they use the garden water to bathe and eat out of the gardens.

How is the soil there. A good garden site needs to have at least 6 hours of sun, be close to a water source, and have a well amended soil.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”