jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Re: Onions

JayPoc, when did you plant your onions? I think in your locale, you could plant slips or sets mid February or at least by the first of March? Seed should probably be started about new years for planting out by March.
I would plant them 6 inches apart in rows spaced 12 inches. Be sure you have short day onions. Fertile soil, keep the weeds out, and enough water should get you some nice onions.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I usually set a bunch out very early, then replant periodically throughout the spring and early summer, harvesting as I go along. I always leave a few of the earliest ones to try and get a good sized bulb, but again...golf ball size is about the norm. I'll pay closer attention to variety type and see what happens next year.

mattie g
Green Thumb

JayPoc wrote:I usually set a bunch out very early, then replant periodically throughout the spring and early summer, harvesting as I go along. I always leave a few of the earliest ones to try and get a good sized bulb, but again...golf ball size is about the norm. I'll pay closer attention to variety type and see what happens next year.
I planted both intermediate- and long-day plants around March 20 this past year, and ended up with mostly racquetball- to tennis-ball-sized onions, The intermediates did better for me, no doubt.

I definitely could have planted them earlier in the season, but the timing just didn't work for me. It was also my first time ever giving onions a real go. I'm going to shoot to plant them around March 1 this coming year, weather permitting (i.e. as long as it's not too wet and the long range isn't showing overly cold weather). I'll also give them just a little more space, though since I have a small garden I don't have a whole lot to work with. I'm hoping the extra 2-3 weeks and extra spacing makes a noticeable difference in bulb out next summer.

That all said, the onions are quite good. The long-day yellows are OK, but the white intermediate onions are absolutely fantastic!

imafan26
Mod

I just started my fall onion seeds, Texas granex and red burgundy onions yesterday. Thanks for all the cultural info DD, I am going to see if I can get bigger onions by following your recommendations.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”