sunflower13

Stink bugs :(

OK I am a newbie (with the exception of a very small container gardening for 4 years) and last weekend I found what I believe is a stink bug. So I got rid of it. Today I found another one on my green beans and removed it too. Should I start freaking out here? As a newbie, that is my instinct, to panic and fear the worst. I am in a community garden that is organic. It is late in the season and we have about 4-6 weeks of warm fall weather until frost kicks in. So is there really any need for concern? I will keep removing them as I find them. There are good beneficials in my garden too like ladybugs, daddy long legs and wasps. I am just stressed. Thanks for any advice :)!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: Stink bugs :(

As long as you aren't seeing lots of them, it should be fine to just keep doing what you are doing. They don't like to get wet. If you water thoroughly, they will start crawling up to dry off. That way you will see if there are a lot of them and it gives you a chance to shake them off in to a bowl of soapy water.

For next year if you interplant with some aromatics, including garlic, tansy, mint, radish etc., it helps repel them.

If you do have a lot of them, you can bring a shop vac into the garden and suck them up. Keep watching the undersides of the leaves for egg clusters and don't let new ones hatch out.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

sunflower13

Thank you, Super Green Thumb! I will soak them to see if they are there. Those are some great tips I will have to try them today. Headed to the garden this evening and going to see if there are more. Thanks again :)!

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I've had a MAJOR problem with these this year. Specifically the nymph stage of the imported brown marmorated stink bug. They drill holes in EVERYTHING....

sunflower13

Oops I meant rainbowgardener lol. I know JayPoc, these bugs are trouble. I am afraid of them cucumber beetles and squash bugs. Only encountered the stink bug so far.

mattie g
Green Thumb

JayPoc wrote:I've had a MAJOR problem with these this year. Specifically the nymph stage of the imported brown marmorated stink bug. They drill holes in EVERYTHING....
Horrible, horrible things.

They decimated my peaches, then started on the tomatoes once the peaches were done, but luckily they didn't stick around to damage them too much.

I'm not complaining, of course!

But now I'm dealing with a major influx of cucumber beetles for the first time... :x

jnunez918

I never saw a stink bug until I pulled my onions 2 weeks ago.
Jennifer
Austin, TX Zone 8b

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”