imafan26
Mod

Re: Onions

Sometimes you have a microclimate that allows you to grow some onions better than others. Sometimes you just have to experiment to see what works out.

I don't have a lot of space for onions and I only grow a few just enough to last about a month.

My biggest problem is the curing and storage. They are harvested when it is getting warmer. We don't have root cellars here and when they are left out even in the patio, onions that start out sweet end up quite pungent after a couple of weeks. I don't really know how to change that. In May-June, it is humid with the temps in the mid 80's.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

When I plant seed, I plan to use them as green onions. The best they do if let go for dry is about walnut size. Maybe a few as large as a golfball. Yes, they will store when properly dried.

imafan26
Mod

Actually, I grow green bunching onions for green onions and chives. The green onions (scallions) will live about two seasons and go to seed. the can be started from cut off roots, but I start them from seed.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Has anybody tried planting the cut off root ends of the onions? I asw someting on line about doing it. I was couriouse to know if it does work or not. May have to try one in a pot inside to see if it takes root.

stainlessbrown

well, seed and sets are in- Red, yellow and "maui"... I worked the soil with ammonium sulfate, calcium phosphate, chicken manure and mulch..... we'll see what happens.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I'll keep you posted.

most of the fall/winter garden is in the ground with the exception of probably more beets and potatos when the last tomoatos and winter squash come out ( another few weeks I estimate... unless it suddenly turns cold)

lots of lettuce in (multi varieties, bok choi, cauliflower, broccoli, garlic, spuds, kale, collard greens, winter peas, beets, carrots, radishes, leeks, bunching onions, chard)

here's to a good fall/winter!
Attachments
one section of the garden. The orange tree is coming out to open up more sun (I'll plant a dwarf grapefruit in the back corner... we don't eat all that many oranges...a nd it attracts roof rats  (ick!!)
one section of the garden. The orange tree is coming out to open up more sun (I'll plant a dwarf grapefruit in the back corner... we don't eat all that many oranges...a nd it attracts roof rats (ick!!)

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”