sunflower13

Zucchini female flower question

I am growing some black beauty zucchinis and they are about ready to explode with female flowers :). I have the first female flower ready to bloom tomorrow morning but no males. I already have pumpkins and squashes of other kinds with male flowers. Should I use pumpkin or butternut male flowers to pollinate? Will the fruit still be zucchini? I don't plan on using the seeds from this fruit for new plants but was curious if the fruit will still taste ok? Thanks :D !

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

it shouldn't effect the fruit. the fruit comes from the mother, only the seed would be crossed.

applestar
Mod

If the pumpkin is Cucurbita pepo species and not C. maxima, its pollen can pollinate the zucchini, which is also C. pepo, but butternut is C. moschata and is not compatible.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

As noted, it won't affect this season's fruit. If you have bees working the blossoms, they will take care of the pollination for you. In all my years of growing squash, I have never found it necessary to hand pollinate.

If you save seed from your squash, next year these seed will likely produce some hybrid squashes that are different in physical attributes and flavor too.

Corn is the only crop that the flavor of this years crop is affected the same season by the pollen that falls on the silks. The reason being, it is the actual seed that we eat.

All gardeners should hang up a bee board or two to attract the leaf-cutter bees. Are you familiar with them? They make a nest in a small hole about 1/4 inch diameter by cutting circles from leaves and rolling them up and stuffing them in the hole then laying an egg on it. These little guys are excellent pollinators.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

All gardeners should hang up a bee board or two to attract the leaf-cutter bees. Are you familiar with them? They make a nest in a small hole about 1/4 inch diameter by cutting circles from leaves and rolling them up and stuffing them in the hole then laying an egg on it. These little guys are excellent pollinators.
and don't forget the Mason / Orchard bees. The also nest in bee blocks.

Eric

sunflower13

Thanks everyone :)! I learn something new everyday. I have really great bees working hard. They pollinated 6 out of 7 my pumpkins for me and many cucumbers. I was worried because it was cloudy this morning and supposed to rain, that and no male zucchini flowers. I will have to see in a few days if the bees still got to it. Bees are so amazing! I have another female flower set to open tomorrow but no mature zucchini male flowers yet. Hope that changes but if it doesn't I now know I can pollinate with my male pumpkin flowers. Thanks again!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

By now you should be over run with zucchini. Let us know how it worked out?

sunflower13

It is going great :D! Lots of baby zucchinis. The bees did good lol. Going to leave a few because I read from your post about the zucchini milk for baking. I am making some zucchini dishes tonight and having some in my salad too. If I get too many, going to donate or give to friends. First time growing them and they grow so fast. Thanks for all your help and the milk recipe. I think I read that on another thread.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Very nice. Yes, zucchini is so prolific and grows so fast that people have devised lots of recipes to use it. Have fun.

sunflower13

jal_ut wrote:Very nice. Yes, zucchini is so prolific and grows so fast that people have devised lots of recipes to use it. Have fun.
I am thinking of putting them in a egg omelette. I've got my creative cap on now lol :wink:.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”