TamaraJM

Friend or Foe- insects on Basil

OK, guys, I just potted a nice bushy Sweet Basil plant and within one day it attracted these two strange little bugs, and I can't find anywhere online about whether they are good guys or bad guys for the plants.

They are shaped like worms, but look like insects, not soft like worms. Also, they hang out on the main stalk of my basil, and if you go look at them, they quickly turn to the other side of the stalk. (Kind of like when someone is hiding behind a tree, and when you go around to find them, they keep circling it too so you can't see them) Only they aren't that sneaky. They're fast, but sometimes don't make it around fast enough. I videoed it on my camera, but alas, my machine is not internet ready yet. (This machine isn't mine)

So I'm wondering if anyone can help me identify these little guys and whether they are good or bad for my plants?

Inamon

A little more info is needed TamaraJM.

What colour are they? Do they have stripping?
How long are they?
How many legs?
Wings?

As complete a description as possible will certainly help us all in the indetification process.

TamaraJM

Hmmm ok, this is what I can see of them anyhow. I can't see how many legs, because they keep hiding behind the stalk, but I know now that they have wings, because I just watered my basil and one flew off and then back on again. You know what lightning bugs look like when not lit up? (They always reminded me of watermelon seeds somehow) These guys look very similar. Dark almost black coloring, with a little greyish on the sides, but not any stripes. They are about as long as a quarter's diameter, (one side straight across to the other) and are cylindrical...like a worm, only shorter.

If I had to guess about the legs, I'd guess 6. They're long enough and they move fast enough (sideways, mind you, like a crab) that I'm thinking they have to have more than 2 or 4. But all you can really see is their back.

I hope this helps. Also, I just noticed that the bottom part of the basil plant is turning yellowish, and it looks like something may have chewed on 2 of the leaves. So they might be the culprits...but whatever they are, they seem attracted to only the basil plant. I have the basil and greek oregano on the same table with my veggies that haven't been planted yet, and they don't seem to go off the basil and onto the others.

TamaraJM

OK, I got a little better look at one. It appears to only have 4 legs (I only saw two on the one side I saw) and it's underbelly looked kinda segmented, at least the half under the head, and a yellowish color (on the segmented bit. The other half looked dark)

Inamon

Indoor or out?

TamaraJM

Outdoors, on the back patio, though, not way out there in a garden, just potted on a table on the back porch.

Jess
Greener Thumb

I have no idea as to what exactly you are describing Tamara but as a rule of thumb if an insect is fast it is a predator. If slow a herbivore. There are of course exceptions but do not be too hasty to get rid of them. They may be eating pests such as spider mite that you cannot see very well with the naked eye.

TamaraJM

Thank you, Jess, I now have some knowledge of predators and herbivores. That one little tidbit of info will help quite a bit in my identification of the Good, the Bad, and the Little Buggers Eating My Plants.

The leaves at the bottom are still yellow, but don't look unhealthy or like they're deteriorating or anything bad. I've been keeping an eye on the basil, wary of these newcomers.

Thanks!

arosbro
Newly Registered

I too just put out some Basil and a lot of beatle, fly looking bugs are congregating on stems. They are not quick to leave..but there is probably 8-10 total! They can sort of fly...they cling to the plant. I'm not sure if they are helping or hurting. Their bodies are distinguishable by their green iridescence. Any ideas?

Jess
Greener Thumb

Any chance of a pic arosbro? If not then how big are they? When you say beetle do they truly look like a beetle or more like little flies? Have they had any affect on your plant? (leaves curling, holes, yellowing of leaves).

arosbro
Newly Registered

Yes I can take a picture...I guess they are more like beetles..but they seem to have some wings. I took the plant away from them...brought it inside. I will put it back out..I'm sure they will return. I think the leaves are curling. I'm new to gardening so I'm not sure what to expect with anything. Thanks

Grey
Greener Thumb

arosbro, yours sound to me like Japanese Beetles. The beetle like body and the irridescence, and then since I found one one MY basil...

See if this is it:

https://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.cirrusimage.com/Beetles/japanese_beetle_001.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.cirrusimage.com/beetles_japanese.htm&h=717&w=1024&sz=198&tbnid=1IyNS1CTJpYswM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djapanese%2Bbeetle,%2Bphoto%26um%3D1&start=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=1

arosbro
Newly Registered

Yes! That is what they are! :) I was just getting ready to send their mug shot in. My coworkers have told me they will eat everything! Any suggestions in getting rid of them?

Grey
Greener Thumb

They don't move much in the early morning - pick em off your plants and sqoosh them. Best way to get them, really. My dogs think this is quite entertaining.

Inamon

There are a number of pesticide free traps available through your local garden center. The is also the philosophy that they will retire after the 4th of July (which in PA is true.) So that they can infect your lawn lawn with more spawn for next year

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”