MrsK0915
Newly Registered

What are these spots on my tomatoes?

Does anybody know what these strange spots are on my tomatoes? It's only on a couple and the rest of the plant looks healthy. I took the spotted ones off today so hopefully whatever it is won't spread to the rest of the plant. Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_1185.JPG
IMG_1185.JPG (21.75 KiB) Viewed 393 times
IMG_1180.JPG
IMG_1180.JPG (26.17 KiB) Viewed 393 times

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Re: What are these spots on my tomatoes?

imafan26
Mod

Spotted wilt CMV and Tomato mosaic virus can all cause mottling of fruit. There usually are leaf symptoms too. Viruses cannot be cured. Carefully remove the plant and its' residues. Make sure you wash the equipment and your hands and boots before you touch other plants. Since some of the virus vectors may have already bitten into other plants, you will need to check the surrounding plants and possible weed hosts as well.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Never seen anything like that! If it is any of the viruses, you would be having significant leaf symptoms as well. If so, imafan is right, you have to bite the bullet and get rid of the plant.

If the plant is healthy with no leaf symptoms (ring spots, dead spots, tip die back, etc), then it is probably something else.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

MrsK0915
Newly Registered

I haven't noticed any problems with the leaves at all and the spotting has been entirely confined to this small bunch of tomatoes (so far). There are a lot of other tomatoes on the plant that have no issues, so I'm not going to remove it just yet. I did just lose a couple zucchini plants to what I suspect was bacterial wilt. Coincidence or could these two issues have something to do with one another? The plants were in separate corners of the garden, but it's only a 10x12 space so everything is relatively close to each other.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”