sewmammabear

The deer ate my green bean leaves and tomato tops!

So now I have two questions...

What can I do to keep them out? We have a government-issued garden plot surrounded by other garden plots in the middle of a flat field. No real practical way to put up a fence, no trees to hang anything from. I've read about different things but I'm having a hard time deciding what is real and what is myth.

Also, will they come back? I've read here about people cutting the tops off of indeterminate tomato plants to stop their growth so would getting the top bitten off my plant keep it from growing? They are still pretty little... only about a foot tall before the deer and about 8 in now :cry:

This is my first garden and I'm really excited but I would like to actually reap some of the rewards, yk?

Gardener Don
Cool Member

Hello Sewmammabear,
You might try some of these; I boil crushed hot peppers and some water, strain and spray on the plants, obtain hair from barbers and place around your plot - it will help keep them away for a couple of weeks. Your tomatos will probably recover, however, my past experience tells me the green beans are probably done, hoe them up and plant more - you have plenty of time. Is it possible for you to put cages up for your tomatos? I use concrete reinforcing wire, about 5' tall and 30 to 36" in diameter - might help keep the deer from sampling as much and will keep your plants off the ground. Don

sewmammabear

Thanks! I don't mind replanting my green beans, I was going to put in more this month anyway and they haven't all been eaten..... yet!

Call me clueless but what is concrete reinforcing wire and how are you making cages out of it? I just have cheapo cages up right now and obviously they aren't helping? Is it a mesh that you can wrap around? I noticed that some of the other gardens have something like that.

I tried making a pepper spray with cayenne pepper powder (all I had on hand) and it didn't work... to grainy for the spray bottle, although straining it may work. I put some cut-up soap around the perimeter and I'll have to try the hair trick as well. Thanks for the help.

Roger

Concrete reinforcement wire - looks like chain link fencing, except not as heavy or thick and the 'holes' look like big squares [or rectangles.] Lighter gauges are called field wire and are used in livestock fencing.

This post has a picture of one in action : [first couple pictures]

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5439&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

sewmammabear

Ah, OK. I have seen that around other's tomato plants. Hmmm.... maybe I'll have to plan a trip into town.

sewmammabear

I just wanted to say....

Most of my green beans are getting new leaves!!! Some have several new leaves, but they were very young (only 2 true leaves) when the deer ate them. What troopers!!

Right now I'm just using a hot pepper spray and so far it's kept the deer away but it's supposed to rain tomorrow so I'll have to reapply quickly, I guess.

sungirl

They roam all around some neighbourhoods in Victoria BC too! I have watched them being shooed away from one backyard to another - eating flowers all the way - maybe you could try and distract them with colour. :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I haven't read the entire thread threw so I don't know if these options have already been offered but, the only sure fire way to keep deer out is to build a deer fence. (I'm currently building one)

You can grow a living fence using the sunflower Helianthus maximillani (Maximillian Sunflower ) that the deer will not cross due to growths on the stems of the plants that irritate the deer's skin. The sunflower stalks are also edible. And it is a pereniel as well.

Also, I've been told that if you leave dishes of creosate around your garden that deer will not cross these either. I wouldn't recommned using this though if you have any pets or small children around.

I'm also told that piles of blood meal works but, I've also heard that it doesn't always work.

Like I said: deer fencing works for sure. Good luck!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”