TamaraJM

Veggie Garden Placement

I have read in a few different places that there are certain combinations of plants that when planted next to each other, will either inhibit or promote each others' growth. My problem being that I can't find a list of these, and was wondering if anyone else has.

I'm planting just a few this year, as I moved here late (and am praying I'll be able to keep these guys alive. (All are plants, not seeds.)

I have tomatoes (heatwave and better boy), burpless cucumbers, crook-necked squash, and watermelon. (I really want to find a strawberry plant to pot on the porch, but alas, they seem to be rare in Mississippi, especially this time of year.) I also have these herbs which I planted in pots just this morning, in case one of them might be beneficial...Sweet Basil, Spearmint and Greek Oregano. (This will grow, the Seed & Feed Store was limited.)

Speaking of which, three things I am wanting to grab n grow are the herbs Yarrow and Comfrey, and the Wolfberry (Kuji?). I'm in Southern Miss. real close to Baton Rouge...anyone know of anywhere I might find the more unique herbs and plants?

gb

Hey! Cant help you on the placement stuff but I know Wal-mart carries many burpee seeds and target carries strawberry plants ..Atleast in Baton rouge
Good luck!

lillgardnr

well I was wondering about that this year to...I found out that peas create nitrogen...some one showed this site to me...very interesting...I am growing a few of the three sister mounds in my garden this year and not only is it easy to weed, but the plants are flourishing. the technique is called the three sisters because all three of the plants do something for one and other.

https://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/buffalo/garden/garden-IV.html

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”