Koniucha

Slow growing tomatoes

I put a few tomato seeds into the ground a few weeks ago. Some have sprouted and I now have two that stared to grow. The issue is that they are a little under an inch and seem to be stuck, as in not growing. I prbably put them in the ground a little late, but it is still hot here. The high today is 106. What could be the problem? I have other plants that are growing, just slowly.

imafan26
Mod

How did you prepare the soil?
Most of my seedlings don't show a lot of top growth in the first few weeks, most of the growth is going on underground with the roots instead. If you have prepped the soil and kept up with the watering they should take off. Of course a little miracle grow doesn't hurt either as long as you don't overdo it. Tomatoes like warm temperatures, but I must admit July and August are not the best times to plant or even the most comfortable time to be out working in the garden.

Koniucha

The soil is a mixture of native soil and miracle grow organic soil. It is probably just too hot. I thought I would try because I really want tose tomatoes!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You didn't put them in late, you put them in too early. It is just TOO ... darn ... hot! End of the month or the beginning of Sept should be better for you to start tomatoes. For you, they will grow all through the fall and winter. Or you can plant in Feb for a spring and early summer crop.

applestar
Mod

Giving them some midday shade might help. Lawn chair or lounger is an easy solution for small seedlings and transplants in a small area. You may need to get more creative for larger areas.

Koniucha

I am shading them as much as I can. They mostly just get the morning sun, the afternoon sun is just a killer. So when it cools down, will they grow faster?

imafan26
Mod

If you can keep them shaded and you may have to do some midday misting to help cool them down. If you can keep them from wilting they may have a chance.

Koniucha

Can I plant cukes in Sept as well?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes.

https://www.thevegetablegarden.info/reso ... g-schedule

and here's one from U AZ that is specific not just to AZ but to different regions of AZ by elevation:

https://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/mg/ve ... ons13.html

Koniucha

Awesome! I am soaking some as we speak. I have been trying all summer and they just werent able to survive. Now I know! I am also soaking some tomato seeds as well.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

ummmmm ..... it's still not Sept. and your high temp is predicted to be over 105 deg every day in the next ten days. (Sheesh!!) That is still not planting weather. I think you just have to be patient for a little while and wait for your weather to break. You only want to soak your seeds 24 hrs or so.

(how did you get to yes you can plant tomatoes and cukes in Sept, to I'm soaking seeds now? :? )

(The schedules give ranges, because the weather isn't the same every year, so you can't just plant by the calendar)

imafan26
Mod

Cukes and tomatoes usually will sprout easily in the ground or pots at the right time. If they struggle they really are telling you something. Most seeds won't sprout in temps much higher than the low 90's and cool weather seeds won't sprout unless it is a lot cooler than that. Most seeds can sprout in temperature ranges from 65-85 degrees.

Right now the best thing to do in the garden is to solarize the beds. It is the one time where high temperatures are actually a good thing. Weeding to keep down the competition and enjoying the harvest are the primary chores of August.

I would hold off on the seed starting until September. Spend more time at the pool instead.

Koniucha

rainbowgardener wrote:ummmmm ..... it's still not Sept. and your high temp is predicted to be over 105 deg every day in the next ten days. (Sheesh!!) That is still not planting weather. I think you just have to be patient for a little while and wait for your weather to break. You only want to soak your seeds 24 hrs or so.

(how did you get to yes you can plant tomatoes and cukes in Sept, to I'm soaking seeds now? :? )

(The schedules give ranges, because the weather isn't the same every year, so you can't just plant by the calendar)

I was going to start them indoors (the tomatoes). Is it too early for that?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, that should work if you have lighting. Browse in our seed starting section...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”