HonoluluGirl

How do you know when to harvest eggplants?

The eggplant is dark purple from when it first sets fruit. How do I know when to pick it? Thanks!

imafan26
Mod

What kind do you have? If you have the large round or long eggplants, either purple, green, lavender, striated. Pick them before they get hard and lose their shine. Long green eggplants will stay softer on the plant longer so you can pick them later, but you might have to peel them. Purple eggplants get hard and seedy once they lose their shine, and not worth eating. Small round thai eggplants like kermit and tiger only get to be about two inches in diameter, but have a sweet delicate flavor. They will turn yellow and seedy if left on the plant too long.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I agree with the above poster. I learned that once the fruit loses its shine it will contribute more to the compost pile than to your dining delight.

HonoluluGirl

Thanks! I don't know what kind they are - I lost the seed packet. They're dark purple, about 4 inches long, and long-egg shaped. I'll pick them soon.

imafan26
Mod

Oval dark purple, are good for eggplant parmesan. It is most likely an heirloom called Black Beauty.
https://bonnieplants.com/products/vegeta ... y-eggplant

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”