harryhh
Cool Member

What disease is this on my cucumber?

Up til now, my cucumbers have been pretty good with only a few marks. Maybe what's on them now, but only a little. Somewhat suddenly, half of them are marred.

I should say that my garden is in a grassy/weedy area that is only mown when it gets calf high. My cucumbers are growing out into this area. I have read that some weed diseases can infect cucumbers.

I give most of my garden produce to the food pantry for those who need it. Are these cucumbers still edible if they are peeled? Can they harm anyone?
Attachments
cucumber disease 1.jpg

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

How's your weather? Lots of rain, cooler than normal temperatures, etc.?

I take it by your description you allow your plants to sprawl on the ground. I've found there is far less damage to cucumbers if they are planted next to a fence or trellis they can climb on by keeping the fruit off the ground.

I was thinking the fungus, cucumber scab, but the picture you have doesn't look as drastic as what scab does to them. Wish I could be of more help.

ExcitableGardener

Is there anything on the leaves or is it just the cucumbers?

harryhh
Cool Member

Last year, my first garden, I put my cucumbers on a trellis. This year, planting less and having more room, I let them go on the ground.

Approximately 11 of the last 16 days have been on average about 8 degrees below normal. It's been generally in the mid 70's. Even had a couple of days in the upper 60's. A good bit cooler than our average 84 this time of year.

On one cucumber I did see 3 small bumps that looked like the beginning of the scab picture I saw on the net, and thought it might be the early stages of scab. It's seems hard to determine disease's because they can look different on different plants.

From fairly early on, when the vines were only 2 or 3 feet long, I've had some leaves get first yellow areas, then tan, then the tan may become holes and the edges of the leaves would curl a little and turn brown. They would end up a raggedy looking mostly tan leaf with holes in them. But this was mainly in the center of the plants and the new outer leaves looked good, and I had loads of good cucumbers.

I was just outside looking, and the leaves with yellow spots is advancing. Getting near the outside of the plants in one area.

I've also had leaves that are under the 'canopy' turn pail yellow and die. I figured that was normal. They didn't really seem to be diseased.

Harry

imafan26
Mod

It looks like two spotted mite damage. Spider mites peak during the warmer months of the year and cause bronzing of the undersides of the leaves and scars on fruit. If the fruit were more curled, 'I'd suspect thrips.

applestar
Mod

Hmm... I was thinking slugs, and if they are sprawling, that may explain the extensive scarring?

harryhh
Cool Member

Thanks folks.

I'll look up info about spider mites and thrips. I haven't any slugs, but I'll look for them also.

Any more ideas?

Harry

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”