freedhardwoods

New Planter On The Way

For several years I have been planting with an All In One Seeder that I bought for a few dollars at a yard sale.

It has done a tolerable job on corn and green beans even though it isn't very accurate at all dropping the seeds and the plates continually jam and throw seed everywhere when it breaks loose.

I finally decided I was tired of continually fighting and fiddling with it and started looking for something better.

I found the Hoss seeder and it is exactly what I have wanted for years. It works on the same basic principle as the John Deere 494A planter I planted corn and soybeans with 35 years ago.

It appears to be well built and the best part is it sells for $160. I bought a few blank seed plates and the template for a total of $220 including shipping.

They would like you to buy their wheel hoe for another $150 to mount it on, but I will build my own hand carriage with parts and material I already have. If I expand my garden even more, it will be very easy to mount on the 3 point hitch on my garden tractor.

I'll update this post after it arrives.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Very nice!

freedhardwoods

Hoss Seeder Design Review

My planter came the day before I had to leave for a few days. I didn't have time to try it out, but I did take the time to look it over.

It is solidly built using a simple design. They used rugged parts in the high stress and high wear areas, and cheaper parts in areas that do not need heavier and more expensive material. Overall, it looks like a machine that could last you many years with normal care and maintenance.

There was 3 minor things I noticed that I am going to change while getting it ready so that hopefully this will be the last planter I ever buy. Two are minor quality issues that could be resolved at the factory by making slight changes for virtually no cost. The third is something I believe would be an attractive option that would help sell the planter.

1 – The drive wheel has a small amount of side to side play. I am going to install flat washers to take up the slack. (Very simple fix.)
The factory needs to install 1/8” longer bushings on each side to keep the drive wheel in place or the drive wheel itself needs to be slightly wider to solve the problem.

2 – The punched hole in the sides of the drive wheel is slightly too large for the shaft it is mounted on which could cause excess wear after lots of use. I will install a shim of the proper thickness on the flat side of the shaft to tighten it up. (Very simple fix.)
The factory could just use a slightly smaller hole punch in the manufacturing process to solve the problem.

3 – The factory uses a light chain made from wire to run the planter box. I am going to install a roller chain to run between the gears for a much longer chain and gear life. I will also keep on hand a couple different size gears so I can change seed spacing by changing gear sizes. (Another very simple fix)
It seems like that would be a nice option to offer from the factory.

When I get back home I will build the carriage for it and try it out with a few different seeds and give a performance review.

rick54
Newly Registered

Was hoping you would have given the performance review, as I am looking into the purchase of one.

freedhardwoods

I really like the design, but it has one major flaw. the seed is supposed to drop from the circular seed plate hole through a circular hole in the planter. The plate is spinning so fast that the seed doesn't have time to drop and it is constantly jamming. I have been intending to cut a "slot" or oval shaped hole to give the seed more time to drop, but I haven't got around to that or any of the other mods I was planning on yet. I've just been using my Earthway seeder.

imafan26
Mod

Sounds nice especially if you have a big area to plant. I could use a hand held model, maybe you could invent one.
Although I have to admit the yardstick with the holes in it, has no moving parts and works just fine. But it is not as fast and you still have to do a lot of bending with it. But hey, planting is the fun part.
https://www.myfrugalhome.com/how-to-make ... ing-ruler/

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”