ChrisC_77

I only have male flowers on buttercup squash.

I have 3 or 4 of these plants. I also have some of the mildew type looking fungus on some of the leaves. But I only have had male flowers. Is it possible that some plants only grow male flowers or do the plants have to be fairly mature before female flowers come on?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

There are no plants that only have male flowers, but it is quite typical for them to produce only male flowers for the first few weeks of bloom.

grwrn

I had the same issue about two weeks ago after my 4 plants produced 3 squash. Basically, you have to be patient. Now I have several female blossoms and they out number the males now.

Cola82
Green Thumb

You also might want to be sure that the white spots on your squash are actually something to be concerned about. Some squash produces natural silvering on the leaves, which is distinct from a fungal infection: https://frontrangefoodgardener.blogspot. ... spots.html

I bring this up only because when it occurred on my butternut squash I worried it was something worse, too.

ChrisC_77

Cola82 wrote:You also might want to be sure that the white spots on your squash are actually something to be concerned about. Some squash produces natural silvering on the leaves, which is distinct from a fungal infection: https://frontrangefoodgardener.blogspot. ... spots.html

I bring this up only because when it occurred on my butternut squash I worried it was something worse, too.

Not all the leaves have this appearance. Most are solid green. Thanks!

ChrisC_77

grwrn wrote:I had the same issue about two weeks ago after my 4 plants produced 3 squash. Basically, you have to be patient. Now I have several female blossoms and they out number the males now.

THIS JUST IN: I have 2 female flowers on one plant now! Hope to see more. I will be patient. The flowers are tiny at the moment, but I know they are females because I see the tiny squash bud.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Spray full strength 5% vinegar on the mildew wait 5 minutes then wash it off with water. Spray the plant real good with the garden hose.

Vinegar kills mold and mildew.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

My cukes do the same thing. They put out a ton of male flowers before they put out female ones. I was told they do this to attract bees and other pollinators to the plant before they put out female flowers.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”