Sprout24
Newly Registered

bugs!

some type of bug/mite is eating my Zucchini plant and it has eaten one of it's leaves of entirely. the plant is also turning light green on some of it's leaves (was dark green before) and it worries me. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good bug repellent that will keep my plants safe from what ever is eating them? Do I have to but chemicals or can I make something at home?

lillgardnr

I was just having a bad bug problem myself, but they were huge aphids. I made a soup or sorts that was poison free and worked great (instantly)! you need a spray bottle, water, one whole pressed garlic, tbl spn of hot chili powder, tbl spn of vinegar, tbl spn of dish soap, I even added a tlb spn of whiskey :oops: . mixed it all up over a low heat, then stained it....put it right into the spray bottle. when it was cool I spayed all the affected plants genrously and the bugs literally fell off. the brew didn't hurt the plants at all. the only drawback was the strong smell of garlic. :lol:

busyasabee
Newly Registered

We were not able to track any down locally so we ordered a gallon of liquid garlic that when diluted one part to 9 parts of water and makes quite a batch. We used a two gallon sprayer to treat our gardens and it seems to work very well even trhough several rains. For about fifteen minutes, there is the garlic smell but it soon disipates and leaves no odor or tast on the produce. It costed less than $20, including S&H.

lillgardnr

hmmm....I wonder if growing garlic would have a similar effect :?:

busyasabee
Newly Registered

Our research mentioned that while garden grown garlic does offer help, one would have to grow an enormous amount for it to really be effective. This commercial product is very, very concentrated. Don't think for one minute that we didn't consider growing some too. We have introduced several friends to this product and they too have been pleased. We are not salespeople or company representatives - just satisfied consumers.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”