rschneiderman379
Newly Registered

What is happening here?!

Hello! I live in San Diego, and recently started a backyard garden on my patio. My starters were successfully transplanted and were thriving for about 2 weeks until suddenly last week they quickly started deteriorating.. Now they are all turning yellow, seem to maybe be eaten by bugs are are dying... Does anyone have an idea of what could be the cause? I recently used a fish fertilizer to try and provide some extra nitrogen in the soil.

Additional information: There are holes drilled in the bottom of each container and water drains out daily so I doubt they are overwatered
I used soil purchased from Home Depot - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kellogg-3-cu ... fbPj2Sc6rI

I have not used any other fertilizers I use water from the hose outside All plants are exposed to full sun daily

Thanks for any advice!

Here are some photos:
https://imgur.com/a/gh1JO

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I believe this product has been brought up before, because of its poor performance.

If you read the back of the bag, it will most likely tell you to use it as a mulch or soil ammendment. It has too much woody material to be a stand alone growing media.

Nitrogen deficiency is what I see in your photos.

Eric

imafan26
Mod

If you read the bag it would probably have told you that it should be incorporated into the soil. Some products even outright say that plants should not be directly planted in them.

It is an amendment usually containing compost, and sometimes lime. By itself it holds too much water and is very high carbon so unless you have added more fertilizer to it, it will suck out all the available nitrogen.

rschneiderman379
Newly Registered

Great, thanks for your help!!!

Side note, I'm from Bainbridge Island - I grew up vacationing in the San Juans! It's beautiful there, I hear the summer has been great so far :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I own a 6.5 acre place in which existence is positive, harmonious and eternal. You can call it Paradise. :lol: Off Island is Hell, especially I-5.

Why did you move to San Diego.

Eric

rschneiderman379
Newly Registered

Wow, how cool!

I moved down here for school... I've had a great time but miss the PNW, can't wait to move home again!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”